Who owes what to who?

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
nmat

Re: Who owes what to who?

Post by nmat »

Angeman wrote:It works just the same way : you create a new operation of 1000 SFr in one of your accounts (or in your person account if you gave the money in cash for example) and you set the person you lent the money as a 100% participant.
Some time later if he / she gives you back your 1000 SFr, you just check the box near to he amount field to tell it's OK.
I have a question about this.

I lent 30€ to a friend, so I created a transaction of -30€ in my person account and I added my friend as a 100% participant. When he pays me back, I should check the box next to the amount field to indicate that the money has been payed, right? When I do this, the "Is owed 30€" disappears, but the money doesn't get back into my account. Do I need to create a money transfer from my friend to get the money back? Maybe I'm misinterpreting something...
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Yes you have to, checking the box just tells that the debt is ok now. For example your friend could have bought you something worth 30€ so you wouldn't have had the money back on your account.
nmat

Post by nmat »

OK. Thanks for the quick answer. Also, thank you for the software =)
cascaman

Post by cascaman »

Hello. First of all, thank you for this app and excuse me if I don't write correctly in english language :roll:

I don't know if it is the same bug... but when I register a shared operation from an account (not my "person" account), when I check the other participant's payment... the corresponding amount is not added to my account (and I think that it is the logical action, isn't it?).

For instance, I pay 100 for a present for a friend's birthday. The amount must be shared with 4 persons. At first, I have a payment of 100 eur, and that amount is subtracted from my account balance (if I had 1000, then I have 900). But when my friends give me their money (25 eur each) and I check the box, the amount is not added again to my account (it remains 900) and it shows that I have spent 100 in a present and it is not true (I have spent only 25).

I think that perhaps it is implemented that way because of the pretended match with a real bank account... But if I do the same using mi "person" account, the result is the same. In the lower-right part of the app, I can see the "balance" of that fictive account, and this number doesn't change when I check the corresponding participation. In both situations... I end spendind 100 eur and it is not true.

Or perhaps I have not understood all this stuff correctly...

And other questions:

- How is it supposed to be interpreted the different combinations of arrows up/down in the amount of the transaction and in the participation of a person? I can use all 4 combination (up/up, up/down, down/up and down/down).
- What does the arrow in the "type" mean? If I have a transaction of "type 1" and I change red down arrow for an up green arrow, the amount is taken as positive and double-negative at the same time. I don't understand. For instance. The transacion is 100 eur. If I press the arrow and I get it green, the amount is taken as +100 and -200.
- I I change the amount in the "type" field, and I put, for instance, "50", if I use the red arrow, the total amount is +100 (as if I didn't change anything), but if I press and get the green arrow, then the total amount is +50 and -150.

Thank you again.
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

cascaman wrote:I don't know if it is the same bug... but when I register a shared operation from an account (not my "person" account), when I check the other participant's payment... the corresponding amount is not added to my account (and I think that it is the logical action, isn't it?).
That's because the person could have paid you back in a different manner. For example he could have bought you something worth the debt so you wouldn't have had the money back on your account. Checking just means the debt is cleared now.
cascaman wrote:For instance, I pay 100 for a present for a friend's birthday. The amount must be shared with 4 persons. At first, I have a payment of 100 eur, and that amount is subtracted from my account balance (if I had 1000, then I have 900). But when my friends give me their money (25 eur each) and I check the box, the amount is not added again to my account (it remains 900) and it shows that I have spent 100 in a present and it is not true (I have spent only 25).
You also have to create the 3 transactions of your friends paying you back.
cascaman wrote:- How is it supposed to be interpreted the different combinations of arrows up/down in the amount of the transaction and in the participation of a person? I can use all 4 combination (up/up, up/down, down/up and down/down).
- What does the arrow in the "type" mean? If I have a transaction of "type 1" and I change red down arrow for an up green arrow, the amount is taken as positive and double-negative at the same time. I don't understand. For instance. The transacion is 100 eur. If I press the arrow and I get it green, the amount is taken as +100 and -200.
- I I change the amount in the "type" field, and I put, for instance, "50", if I use the red arrow, the total amount is +100 (as if I didn't change anything), but if I press and get the green arrow, then the total amount is +50 and -150.
Down means debit and up means credit. Usually a debit operation only have debit parts but it is also possible to have credit parts. For example you can have a 180 debit which is in fact a 200 debit + a 10 % discount.
cascaman

Post by cascaman »

Thank you very much for your answers
nmat

Post by nmat »

Angeman wrote:Yes this is a known bug, it will be fixed in version 4. As a workaround you can set the percentage of category "planes" to 33%.
Thanks for the tip. It works with budgets, but if I filter the category "planes" it doesn't work. iCompta just adds the values of displayed transactions without percentages.
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

You can look in the statistics if you want to see the balance of the category "planes" only.
nmat

Post by nmat »

Thanks. I didn't notice that. :)

Regarding this:
Angeman wrote:Yes you have to, checking the box just tells that the debt is ok now. For example your friend could have bought you something worth 30€ so you wouldn't have had the money back on your account.
I agree that the checkbox's function is to tell if the debt still exists, but the payment is most of the time done in money (I think...) and it is kind of boring to make a transfer and check a box each time a friend pays something. So my suggestion is: ask the user (with a popup, another checkbox or something else) if the payment was made in money when he clicks the debt checkbox. If the user answers "yes", iCompta automatically makes the transfer. What do you think?

I like the way iCompta handles this. The percentage in each transaction is a great idea, but having to make 6 or 7 clicks and enter a value just to clear a debt is annoying.

Just one more thing: if a friend only pays me half of the debt, how should I proceed?
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

nmat wrote:I agree that the checkbox's function is to tell if the debt still exists, but the payment is most of the time done in money (I think...)
Unfortunately for you, it's not the case for me ;-)
nmat wrote:and it is kind of boring to make a transfer and check a box each time a friend pays something. So my suggestion is: ask the user (with a popup, another checkbox or something else) if the payment was made in money when he clicks the debt checkbox. If the user answers "yes", iCompta automatically makes the transfer. What do you think?

I like the way iCompta handles this. The percentage in each transaction is a great idea, but having to make 6 or 7 clicks and enter a value just to clear a debt is annoying.
I know but you can quickly check a bunch of participations by right-clicking them in the participations bottom panel.
nmat wrote:Just one more thing: if a friend only pays me half of the debt, how should I proceed?
Create the transaction in your account and add your friend as a participant as usual and his global debt will be updated.