Transactions in different currencies

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
Wayfair

Transactions in different currencies

Post by Wayfair »

I would be grateful for any help on the following:

First off, I'm using the german version of ICompta.

In the window "Kategorien und Währungen" (categories and currencies), there is no capability to add a symbol for the currency. From screenshots I have seen in the net, this seems to be possible in the US version. Is this a bug or does something need to be configured.

I travel quite a lot and therefore have a lot of transactions in different currencies. I would have expected that I can just change the currency in the transaction "Umsatz" window by changing the currency symbol where I give the amount of the transaction (see my problem above). Is this right or how should transactions in different currencies be managed?
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: Transactions in different currencies

Post by Angeman »

This is a screenshot from an old version, now all you have to enter in the 3 letters currency code and the appropriate currency symbol will be displayed.
gsarbia

Post by gsarbia »

Hello,

I've just purchased iCompta and I'm already stumbling into this problem. All my credit card transactions in other currencies beyond the Euro are registered by my VISA provider in both Euro and foreign currency. I'm not seeing a way to define two values for a single transaction, one in Euro and one in the original currency. If I add currencies, I can pick one in the overall account properties but I can't find a way to assign a currency to a single transaction (and to specify the exchange rate for that specific transaction or the value in the account's currency).

I still hope that I just haven't noticed how to do that, and that there is actually a way to define single transactions in specific currencies. I guess it's much more common to have all accounts using the currency of your home country while spending occasionally abroad, rather than having multiple accounts in multiple currencies... Moreover, exchange rates change on a daily basis, so just having the current exchange rate is of little value.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and best regards,
Giovanni
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

You can only enter a transaction in the currency of the account so you have to convert the amount yourself. You will be able to enter an amount in a different currency in V5.
ya_shin

Post by ya_shin »

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I thought my question fits into the theme of this.

Reading the above post, I thought that I will be able to enter individual exchange rates for each transaction between two account (assuming they are for different currencies). For example, when creating a transfer from a EUR account to a USD account I would thought I can enter an exchange rate for that particular transaction, so that the "received" amount can match the actual credited amount. Is this or a similar function now available and I am missing how to do it...?
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

In fact you don't enter the exchange rate but the 2 amounts instead. When you enter the EUR amount you will be asked if you want to update the linked transaction : answer no. Then do the same for the USD amount.
ya_shin

Post by ya_shin »

Weird, but now that you explained it makes sense and seems even better than what I was looking for. The two transaction still keep remain linked though?

Thanks for your quick reply.
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

ya_shin wrote:The two transaction still keep remain linked though?
Yes absolutely
ya_shin

Post by ya_shin »

Thanks again for your replies.