iCompta Suggestions

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
adrianwi

iCompta Suggestions

Post by adrianwi »

I've been using iCompta for a few months now and have a number of suggestions to improve the way the product would work for me, and I expect many other users.

Historically I used Microsoft Money for several years, but when I decided to get a Mac this became a frustrating option using either Bootcamp or Parallel/Fusion sessions. This was one of the last pieces of software to allow me to work entirely in OSX and remove the need for a Windows environment, and although it is doing a job, is missing some basis functionality from the windows application.

1. better links between accounts for transfer transactions, so that when a transfer is created and then amended, it updates both sides of the transaction. Also don't think recurring transfers (i.e. monthly) work as they don't create both transactions, unless I am doing something wrong!
2. a display to show all recurring transactions would be fantastic, so I can see all upcoming transactions from multiple accounts in one place. Money did this as a simple list showing the date of the next payment until it is added to the account, when the next is displayed (i.e. next month, quarter, year, etc.)
3. when entering a new transaction, the 1st item in the General section is user definable, however, I have created a number of entries in here that I want to now remove. I can't find anywhere where these could be edited, which would be really useful. Perhaps adding to the section where Types and Currencies are amended?
4. would also be good if you could edit the Transaction Types (i.e. credit cards, cash, etc.) so I can add things like Paypal, Debit Card, etc.
5. a really good facility of Money was the ability to balance accounts from monthly statements, and to reconcile transactions from downloaded files. I know you can download transactions, but Money tried to reconcile these with existing transactions in order to auto-balance. Have tried the download and not enough information is populated to make this a worthwhile facility at present.

I'm sure as I start trying to use it more, for budgeting and reporting, I'll find a few more things and will post them here.

Overall, I think the application is good and it may even encourage me to buy an iPhone so i can update transactions from that!

Most importantly, keep up the good work and keep up the product improvements!

Cheers - Adrian
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: iCompta Suggestions

Post by Angeman »

adrianwi wrote:1. better links between accounts for transfer transactions, so that when a transfer is created and then amended, it updates both sides of the transaction. Also don't think recurring transfers (i.e. monthly) work as they don't create both transactions, unless I am doing something wrong!
No you're right there is no link once the transfer has been created but I will change that in a future release.
adrianwi wrote:2. a display to show all recurring transactions would be fantastic, so I can see all upcoming transactions from multiple accounts in one place. Money did this as a simple list showing the date of the next payment until it is added to the account, when the next is displayed (i.e. next month, quarter, year, etc.)
I completely agree on the fact this is needed that's why it's already planned for the next major release.
adrianwi wrote:3. when entering a new transaction, the 1st item in the General section is user definable, however, I have created a number of entries in here that I want to now remove. I can't find anywhere where these could be edited, which would be really useful. Perhaps adding to the section where Types and Currencies are amended?
In fact, the list of completions contains all the names of existing transactions so if you want to get rid of one, you should make a search and change the name of the resulting transactions.
adrianwi wrote:4. would also be good if you could edit the Transaction Types (i.e. credit cards, cash, etc.) so I can add things like Paypal, Debit Card, etc.
Absolutely, this is also planned for a next version.
adrianwi wrote:5. a really good facility of Money was the ability to balance accounts from monthly statements, and to reconcile transactions from downloaded files. I know you can download transactions, but Money tried to reconcile these with existing transactions in order to auto-balance. Have tried the download and not enough information is populated to make this a worthwhile facility at present.
This will also be included in the next major release.

Thanks for your suggestions.
adrianwi

Post by adrianwi »

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'll look forward to the next release.
brule

Post by brule »

I would love to be able to create budget rules that aren't limited the same way as other categories.. Like many things have monthly values, such as rent, but some are yearly (taxes, gifts, christmas gifts, computer upgrades).. Perhaps there is a way to do this, but I am at a loss right now.

I don't believe this should be exceedingly hard to implement, and I would love to see it :) I love the program so far.

brule
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

All you have to do is create one budget for your monthly values and one for you yearly values. What don't you understand exactly ?
adrianwi

Post by adrianwi »

Still using iCompta, and enjoying it even more now I have the iPhone app to go along side!

It would be sooooooooo much better though if the features I listed had been developed and released.

Any idea when they might be coming?

Thanks again
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Version 2, in a few months...
adrianwi

Post by adrianwi »

If you need anyone to beta test it, just drop me an e-mail. I've updated it in my user preferences, but it's not visible to everyone!
derekJAB

Post by derekJAB »

Angeman wrote:
adrianwi wrote:1. better links between accounts for transfer transactions, so that when a transfer is created and then amended, it updates both sides of the transaction. Also don't think recurring transfers (i.e. monthly) work as they don't create both transactions, unless I am doing something wrong!
No you're right there is no link once the transfer has been created but I will change that in a future release.
Hi. I have just downloaded iCompta and bought the iPhone app.

It appears that the link between transfers feature has not yet been implemented. Will it be?

Edit: Never mind. I just trashed iCompta after it lost all my categories. Way to go before it becomes useful. I'll write off the iPhone app to experience.
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

derekJAB wrote:It appears that the link between transfers feature has not yet been implemented. Will it be?
Yes it will in version 4.
derekJAB wrote:Edit: Never mind. I just trashed iCompta after it lost all my categories. Way to go before it becomes useful. I'll write off the iPhone app to experience
Maybe you could have described your problem a little more so that I can try to fix it instead of being so negative...