Importing transactions and multiple accounts

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
rabello

Importing transactions and multiple accounts

Post by rabello »

Hello,

I'm new to iCompta and I have a migration problem. I'm trying to migrate from kmymoney. This program can export a single account as a "QIF" file which iCompta reads without problems.

My problem is that I have multiple accounts on my old program and I can only export one account at a time. This results in money transfers between accounts not to be taken into account properly by iCompta.

Example: I have account1.qif and account2.qif

Between account1 and account2 I have money transfers.

If I import account1.qif into "account1" at iCompta, my transfers show up as categories marked like "[account2]".

Is there a way to circumvent my problem? I.e. some clever way by which iCompta will understand that "[account2]" in the file account1.qif actually is an account name instead of another category with a funny name?

I tried fiddling with rules, but none of those allow me to transform the transaction into a proper transfer. I.e., I can mark the transaction as a transfer, but I would not see the money coming out of "account2" in this case...

Many thanks for any tip,

André
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: Importing transactions and multiple accounts

Post by Angeman »

You can't do it automatically, you have to remove the [account2] category manually afterwards. You can delete it in the categories window, it will be removed from all transactions at once this way.
rabello

Post by rabello »

Well, I do not want it removed. I just want that "account2" looks like a proper account. We have a few hundred transactions like this. Is there a way in which I can transform a category into an account? Thanks for the help, André
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

You can't do it in current version sorry.
rabello

Post by rabello »

Thanks for this information.

Could I add a request in such a case? The easiest way to achieve what I intended would be that the "Import Rules" accepted a "Set category to" or "Set account to" option that allows me:

a) Condition: If "Category" contains "[bla]"
b) Action: "Set account to" "bla"

The user would create the account set required for the import previously and would be able to import all transactions correctly in this way.

Could that be considered for the next release?

PS: I'm a programmer, I can help with code and/or testing.

Many thanks, André
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

rabello wrote:a) Condition: If "Category" contains "[bla]"
b) Action: "Set account to" "bla"
I think I didn't understand what you explained previously because this can already be achieved very easily by displaying only [account2] transactions thanks to the filter button and then dragging all these transactions to account2 on the left list.
rabello

Post by rabello »

Yes! Many thanks for this, it will do perfectly.