SOLVED - Sync between Mac and iOS over iCloud takes a long time

Discussions about iCompta on iOS
ubar

SOLVED - Sync between Mac and iOS over iCloud takes a long time

Post by ubar »

Hi,

I feel like a bit of an idiot asking this, there's probably a really obvious answer which I should already know, please be gentle with me. :lol: I feel like I've never really understood how the sync works, I've ended up with all sorts of problems in the past...

I have iCompta (latest versions, have made sure that I have the latest updates) on iOS and Mac. On Mac I have chosen the iCloud sync option, I have checked the location of the .cdb file and it is saved on my iCloud. When I saved it I made sure that sync had completed before I closed the window. So far, so good.

When I open iCompta on my iPhone the usual Documents screen is displayed, I click the iCloud symbol in bottom left corner, it presents the "Create new document from iCloud" option and I can see my file there. I open it, edit a transaction, save, wait until sync is complete. Sync completes, but takes over five minutes. When it completes, the time stamp on the iOS app says it has just been saved.

I go back to desktop, open the file and the changes I made on iOS appear, everything looks fine. I make another change, save, wait for sync to complete, close.

Back to iOS. Open the file from the Documents window by clicking the document icon on screen but the changes made on desktop do not appear. To get those changes, I have to start again by clicking the iCloud symbol in bottom left of screen and selecting my document from the "Create new document from iCloud" pop-up. When I do this, two versions of the document now appear on the Documents screen, one of them has the number 1 added to the file name.

My question is this - when I have saved the file on iOS and closed it, should I then remove the document from my Documents screen by going to Edit and clicking the red minus sign that appears on the document, and then click the iCloud symbol bottom left when I want to open the file on iOS again? Is this how it is supposed to work? If that's what's supposed to happen, that's fine but it seems a bit odd, I expected to be able to just open the document by tapping its icon in the Documents screen.
Last edited by ubar on 01 August 2020, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: Sync between Mac and iOS over iCloud takes a long time

Post by Angeman »

You shouldn't put your document in iCloud Drive yourself otherwise you're pushing the data twice to iCloud (which takes time obviously), so move it to a folder on your hard drive (Documents for example).
ubar wrote: 01 August 2020, 15:37 Back to iOS. Open the file from the Documents window by clicking the document icon on screen but the changes made on desktop do not appear. To get those changes, I have to start again by clicking the iCloud symbol in bottom left of screen and selecting my document from the "Create new document from iCloud" pop-up. When I do this, two versions of the document now appear on the Documents screen, one of them has the number 1 added to the file name.
After moving your document outside of iCloud Drive, you probably need to clean the iCloud synchronization data before trying again. So go in System Preferences > iCloud > Manager > iCompta 6 > Delete everything and then in iCompta just save your document to put new data on iCloud.
ubar wrote: 01 August 2020, 15:37 My question is this - when I have saved the file on iOS and closed it, should I then remove the document from my Documents screen by going to Edit and clicking the red minus sign that appears on the document, and then click the iCloud symbol bottom left when I want to open the file on iOS again? Is this how it is supposed to work? If that's what's supposed to happen, that's fine but it seems a bit odd, I expected to be able to just open the document by tapping its icon in the Documents screen.
No it's not supposed to work like that, the document should be created once and then should update itself as you expects.
ubar

Re: Sync between Mac and iOS over iCloud takes a long time

Post by ubar »

Thanks Angeman. :) Okay, the file is in my Documents folder but my Documents folder is kept on iCloud, so I've moved it to a different local folder and now it's all working like a charm, thank you so so much for your help.