New version, if ever - future of icompta?

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
Torakikiii

New version, if ever - future of icompta?

Post by Torakikiii »

I read elsewhere here in the forum that you're not planning a new version for this year and probably not even for the next. That's an unsettling news.

It has already been 2 years since the v6 launch and there have been tons of suggestions in the forum but I don't see things... moving on, things implemented, a roadmap, or even a post saying hey guys, I'm working on these things... I'm planning that.

I understand you may have your goals but since it's a paid app and you have a user base, us, a better communication might be useful for your business.
As for me, knowing that this program is slowly getting (it seems to me) abandonware gets me worried. I'm considering if it's best I move my data over another place, where it can be future proof, or just wait another bit and hope to see anything move.

Is it a resource problem? having a mid version with new things implemented might push me upgrading with a reasonable cost in-between major versions.
Or consider a gofundme, kickstart, whatever option.

Anyway as a long time paying user I really would like to hear from you about the future of this app, possibly not from a single line answer.

I hope for the best.

Greetings,
Ivan
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: New version, if ever - future of icompta?

Post by Angeman »

My plan is to rewrite the whole app in Swift and Swift UI that will allow to build new features more easily in the future. So that can't be done in few months hence the 1 year or more delay. One thing is sure it's not getting to be an abandonware anytime soon but I also have to work on other things to have a salary every month so it will take time to get there.
Aguilberto Junior

Post by Aguilberto Junior »

I have also been using iCompta for a long time on macOS, iPadOS and iOS and have tested many personal finance tracking apps for Mac, including the most famous, and I consider iCompta to be the most complete of all, although I miss some features, especially more detailed reports and charts.
I try to participate a lot in this forum, in order to ask my questions, make better use of the app, encourage discussions about the resources and give feedback to Cyril.
I agree with Ivan. A major paid upgrade with new features would be very well accepted by the icompta user community, but I know it takes time and resources. Let's wait... I also think that small implementations and improvements in the current version would be a way of showing us that it will not become an abandonware.
Anyway, congratulations for the great software you created!
Torakikiii

Post by Torakikiii »

Hey there,
how are things? another year passed but I don't see anything new :?

Any plan, any roadmap, any upgrade... anything for us? How is the porting to swift going?

Dear developer, please share some insights with your user base, thanks... :roll: ;)
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

It's going well but there is so much left to do… I won't share any roadmap because it doesn't make sense as I know it will never be correct.
Aguilberto Junior

Post by Aguilberto Junior »

As an iCompta user for a long time and enjoying the app, which I consider one of the most complete on the market, I would like to give a suggestion about its future.
Developing a new version from scratch is really something that takes a lot of time and work.
The current version of iCompra is stable and already at a very good level of features and can continue to be improved without the need for a new version in the short term, through the implementation of improvements and new features, according to the needs that users have presented here in the forum.
There are several small things that I and many users would like to be implemented that would help us a lot, without having to wait for a totally new version.
This is my humble opinion.
romad

Post by romad »

Aguilberto Junior wrote: 08 October 2020, 13:48 Developing a new version from scratch is really something that takes a lot of time and work.
Agree. Here in these United States there was an excellent application named "PocketMoney" in both desktop and mobile versions (it actually started out as a Newton OS application) made by my friend, Hardy Macia. Unfortunately, Hardy passed away back in 2013 and PM fell on hard times eventually being bought by venture capitalist Guiseppe Torodino who promised to bring it up to date. Unfortunately GT isn't a programmer so he just cloned iCompta and made PM a joke - it isn't even as good as the real iCompta, much less as good as the original PM.

So for a few years now there is a developer who has been working on new applications that have the strengths of PM in a modern program. The original PM applications are my primary personal finance applications even though PM Desktop is only 32-bit; iCompta 6 applications are my primary back-up applications and I even use a third set of applications if I lose both PocketMoney and iCompta at the same. Heck, I even still use Quicken for Mac 2007 LC as an extreme last resort back up! You can't be too careful.
Sincerely,
Dennis

Cogito, Ergo Mac