Moving to a new bank

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
Torakikiii

Moving to a new bank

Post by Torakikiii »

Hi there,
I'm in the process of moving to a different bank.

This will mean I'll have to manually enter and organize all my category tree, something I carefully tailored during the years. Bummer, unless I'm hopefully overlooking something.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to be able to have a "global" button for specific/all categories so they can be applied to different accounts? Or, a chance to be able to "move" them (ie copy) to the new account?

That would be perfect for budgets and any other thing tied to the old account too, I'm just changing bank, not habits or anything else.

Thanks,
Ivan
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: Moving to a new bank

Post by Angeman »

Why do you want to change your categories ? They're not tied to a specific bank in any way so you can / should keep them.
Or you wanted to create a new file instead of keeping the current one perhaps ?
Torakikiii

Post by Torakikiii »

No, in fact I don't want to change them, I'd love to keep them.
But maybe it wasn't clear that I am going to create a new file too, because the way the new bank export the data it is different from the old, so they don't mix well. Moreover, the "new" account is actually an old one, been used for a while but as a secondary, so it has a lot of data inside that I don't want it to mix with my previous data.

So in plan English (sorry if I was convoluted :D ) I'd love to create a new account but retain the old categories. And budgets too!
Mhhh would cloning the data file and delete all the old transition work as a workaround?
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Ok so you just have to copy/paste all your categories between the 2 files and you're done.
Torakikiii

Post by Torakikiii »

Happily, the copy and paste thing worked for categories and for budgets too.

This is seriously cool and time saving.