Budget categories in random order

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
chrisecurtis

Budget categories in random order

Post by chrisecurtis »

I have just bought iCompta and generally finding it very good.

I spent a couple of hours setting up an annual budget for 2016, with an entry for every sub-category. All sub-categories are set up to start on 1/1/2016 with a duration of 1 year. This will allow me to see where I am in relation to income and spending across the year.

I saved, quit, went to do other things and came back a few hours later. I then loaded it on the other Mac which is synched. The budget is correct, and no information has been lost, but the subcategories are now displayed (as graphs and in the budget editor) in (what I think) is a random order. I want them to stay in the order I created them, which is the same as category order. This way, similar items will be next to each other.

I went back to the first Mac and loaded the programme. The budget is in the same (wrong) order as it was on the other Mac. On both Macs the list of categories and sub-categories (under settings) has not changed.

I cannot see a way to sort the budget categories, and I do not understand why they do not stay as I placed them, or even in category order. I do not want to spend more time reorganising them, for them to change order again. Am I doing something wrong, or missing something?

While on the budget theme, is there any way to create reports using budgets? It would be really good to be able to report total spending in a category (which is available in the splits and comparison reports) to the budget set for that category.

Thanks

iCompta Version 5.1.17 (917)
OSX El Capitan (latest)
2012 MBA and iMac

The screen shots show the first part of the category order in the budget editor and in settings (as it should be) - (very different)
Screen Shot 2016-01-16 at 18.13.42.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-16 at 18.13.42.png (46.84 KiB) Viewed 7585 times
Screen Shot 2016-01-16 at 18.13.14.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-16 at 18.13.14.png (51.35 KiB) Viewed 7585 times
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: Budget categories in random order

Post by Angeman »

I don't know why it changed but you can reorder the lines in a budget by drag & drop.
chrisecurtis wrote:While on the budget theme, is there any way to create reports using budgets? It would be really good to be able to report total spending in a category (which is available in the splits and comparison reports) to the budget set for that category.
Not sure if this answers your question but you can select multiple periods by clicking on the down arrow near the date above the progress bar.
chrisecurtis

Post by chrisecurtis »

Thanks for a quick reply.

I was able to drag and drop everything back into the right order. It seems to be sticking for now. I will keep an eye on it.

I wonder if it was something to do with starting to work on the budget on a new machine before it had fully synchronised with what I had done on the old machine? It does seem to take up to a minute to finish synchronising. I am learning to keep an eye on the black dot which appears next to "synchronise" in the sidebar.

As for reports, I think I am probably asking for a text/table version of the budget graph display, which does show the budget for the period and the money spent in each category. I cannot see all the graphs at the same time (I have too many categories in the budget) so a table (preferably with some colour-coding to indicate what is healthy and what not) would be helpful, but not essential.

Thanks for your help.
chrisecurtis

Post by chrisecurtis »

I just discovered that I can have exactly the budget report I need if I print from the budget screen — printing to pdf works fine too.
chrisecurtis

Post by chrisecurtis »

It was fine for a few days, but now has gone into random order again. All figures are correct and the budget is working correctly, but it is much less easy to use when categories are all muddled up. I know I can drag and drop it back again, but that is tedious and annoying, especially as I do not know how long my organisation will last.

I noticed that categories in the budget had gone into a random order when I used the iPad version this morning (which I had not used during the few days). When I came back to the Mac it was in the same incorrect order as on the iPad.

It seems to keep the correct order in when syncing between two Macs, but perhaps the iPad is doing something different with budgets.
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Ok so it's probably a syncing issue, I'll look into it.
chrisecurtis

Post by chrisecurtis »

Thank you