Monthly interest rate

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
perarneflo

Monthly interest rate

Post by perarneflo »

HI.

I use the feature of letting iCompta automatically calculate my interests on my account. The problem is that the amount is never correct...

My interest rate is 0,40% p.a but my account is credited with interests once a month. In the account settings in iCompta I therefor put the interest rate p.a. divided by 12: 0,4/12=0,03333333 but I am only allowed to write 0,03 (two digits after comma). Is this why the computed amount is always wrong?

The best solution would be if I could just write the annual interest rate and iCompta calculated the correct monthly interest, or I should be able to write many more digits in the accounts settings.

Regards
Per Arne Flø
Oslo, Norway
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: Monthly interest rate

Post by Angeman »

The amount can't be exactly the same of course but it shouldn't much different. What was the amount computed by iCompta and what was the real amount ?
perarneflo

Post by perarneflo »

I've just checked my bank accounts and here are the differences:
  • kr 0,65 / kr 0,73
  • kr 4,33 / kr 4,51
  • kr 0,64 / kr 0,72
  • kr 0,52 / kr 0,59
  • kr 333,21 / kr 324,62
  • kr 231,11 / kr 225,25
  • kr 1119,35 / kr 1073,90
The first number is what iCompta calculated and the second number is what my bank credited the accounts. The first 4 accounts have an interest rate of 0,40% p.a. or 0,033333% monthly and the last 3 are saving accounts and have an interest rate of 2,60% p.a. or 0,216666% monthly. The first 4 then get 0,03% in iCompta and the last 3 get 0,22% in iCompta. It looks as this makes the difference: Too little on the first 4 where the % is rounded down and too much on the last 3 accounts where the % is rounded up.

I hope it will be possible to fix this in a future update of iCompta. Thank you!
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Ok so they are not much different. This is intended to be an estimation anyway as the date of the transactions entered in iCompta can be a little different than the ones in your bank's account and so the amount will never be exactly the same.
perarneflo

Post by perarneflo »

Yes, it is not a big deal, but is it possible to increase the decimals used in interest rates from 2 to 4 or 5? I think that will make iComptas calculation more precise. Or it would be even better that when monthly interest is selected iCompta uses the interest rate entered divided by 12 to calculate the amount. Then there would be no need for more than 2 decimals.
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Sure this will be included not in next version (already submitted to Apple) but the one after.