suggestions regarding importing files and printing

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
dennisdereus

suggestions regarding importing files and printing

Post by dennisdereus »

Hi,

I've just started using iCompta. Nice program, but I do have a few suggestions. The first one is actually a question, but okay.

1) How can I reset the saved preferences for the import type? The two letter bank codes used by my bank (Rabobank NL) are now accidentally coupled to the "transfer" type and that was a mistake. Perhaps this can be incorporated in the preferences window? I tried fiddling around in the plist but that wasn't such a great succes :)
Speaking of which, perhaps it would be nice to have users edit the list of transaction types themselves. Most banks have a list of transaction codes vs transaction types which a user could enter for clarity.

2) When I import a CSV from my bank (the other formats are ACSII and ERI / MUT.ASC) The first line gets skipped (this CSV has no header row) and the last empty line is included (leads to an empty new transaction at the top of the transactions list). Perhaps a check for empty lines and a checkbox in the import window allowing the user to choose if the first line is imported or not might be an useful addition.

3) Most banks allow for multiple comment lines (mine allows up to 4). It would be great if iCompta would support multi line comments. In my particular CSV they are given as 4 seperate fields. I have some ideas about possible implementations, but perhaps you have your own.

4) Perhaps a bit much for a program made in your free time, but wouldn't it be nice if iCompta supported plugins for importing files. People could write their own import plugins for their own banks formats. Not sure how much time would be in actually writing something like that, but it would be a nice addition.

5) When printing, sometimes the name and the comment of a single transaction are printed on different pages. Would it be possible to keep those together?

That was it :)
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: suggestions regarding importing files and printing

Post by Angeman »

dennisdereus wrote:1) How can I reset the saved preferences for the import type? The two letter bank codes used by my bank (Rabobank NL) are now accidentally coupled to the "transfer" type and that was a mistake. Perhaps this can be incorporated in the preferences window? I tried fiddling around in the plist but that wasn't such a great succes
Speaking of which, perhaps it would be nice to have users edit the list of transaction types themselves. Most banks have a list of transaction codes vs transaction types which a user could enter for clarity.
The file which stores your import settings is located in ~/Library/Application Support/iCompta/CSV Import Configurations so you can trash it and make it again.
dennisdereus wrote:2) When I import a CSV from my bank (the other formats are ACSII and ERI / MUT.ASC) The first line gets skipped (this CSV has no header row) and the last empty line is included (leads to an empty new transaction at the top of the transactions list). Perhaps a check for empty lines and a checkbox in the import window allowing the user to choose if the first line is imported or not might be an useful addition.
Yes I completely agree.
dennisdereus wrote:3) Most banks allow for multiple comment lines (mine allows up to 4). It would be great if iCompta would support multi line comments. In my particular CSV they are given as 4 seperate fields. I have some ideas about possible implementations, but perhaps you have your own.
Could you post an example of such a multiple line comment ?
dennisdereus wrote:4) Perhaps a bit much for a program made in your free time, but wouldn't it be nice if iCompta supported plugins for importing files. People could write their own import plugins for their own banks formats. Not sure how much time would be in actually writing something like that, but it would be a nice addition.
Yes I have already thought about that so it might be done some day.
dennisdereus wrote:5) When printing, sometimes the name and the comment of a single transaction are printed on different pages. Would it be possible to keep those together?
Is the comment a multiple lines one ?
dennisdereus

Post by dennisdereus »

Could you post an example of such a multiple line comment ?
Thanks for responding this quick. I have attached an example CSV with one transaction. Just noticed that it has up to 6 description/comment fields. I have also included the specification the bank provides for the CSV file. It is in dutch, but on the end of the second page is a table that should be self explaining.

I will make a screenshot of the prints later, I dont have iCompta available as I am somewhere else for the weekend. It's just the description and a single line comment. At the end of the page, the description is printed, the next line of the same transaction (comment) is printed on the next page. It would be more convenient if a transaction keeps itself completely on a single sheet.
Attachments
csv and specs.zip
archive of example (mut.txt) and specification from bank (dutch)
(47.7 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
bleeuwen

Post by bleeuwen »

Hoi

I am importing also from Rabobank and would apprciate to build up the info field from sevaral fields in the .csv file.