iCompta3 - don't be discouraged

Discussions about iCompta on iOS
Post Reply
JWD
Posts: 31
Joined: 08 June 2011, 20:11

iCompta3 - don't be discouraged

Post by JWD » 04 October 2013, 10:03

Cyril, as a loyal iCompta2 user for 2.5 years I bought and tried to use iCompta3 on my iPad 2 with iOS7. I had been looking forward to the various promised enhancements over the last couple of years.
I converted my iCompta2 "document" and tried to use v3 but I'm afraid I found the learning curve for the new interface too steep when in most respects when I was reasonably happy with v2.
I have since looked at the various comments others have made on here and the OSX forum (about the iOS version) and I agree with most of the criticisms although the slowness hadn't been a problem in my limited trial.
I have gone back to v2 and look forward to some of the points being addressed and will try again in due course. For me the most serious point seemed to be the apparent additional complexity of adding a new transaction.
Keep up the good work and I am sure you will end up with an improved product.
John

Trainiac
Posts: 2
Joined: 17 November 2011, 02:25

Re: iCompta3 - don't be discouraged

Post by Trainiac » 10 October 2013, 23:29

I largely echo what JWD says. Trust me, I've tried just about every money tracking app and iCompta2 still wins. I tried 3 for a little over two weeks on my iPhone and went back to the old version today. My issues:

When I want to add an entry, I want it to be quick an painless. The new version failed on that. I did finally get a routine going (resting a finger on a dividing bar after each transaction section) but even after weeks of practice it took 2 or 3 times longer to add a simple entry. Category choosing seemed extremely cumbersome (I liked having more than one recent transaction to copy, though) and even when duplicating a previous category mix for a transaction sometimes the colors on the list screen were pastel but sometimes bright. Probably user error

Getting to the transaction list for an account is a pain. Do I have two accounts highlighted? Oops. Dragging the list display over from the right side just seemed awkward even after a few weeks (sometimes it showed up automatically when I highlight an account but unpredictably)

I guess I kind of understand what you're going for with transfers (linked account) but the double-arrow icon and quick entry on version 2 worked way better for me

What's up with the font on the total summary? Just totally strange looking

Synchronization might have been the ultimate killer for me. I was hoping it could fold new entries into the shared file but on cloud and dropbox it kept just creating a new "Document 3", "Document 4", etc. when trying to sync up the data on multiple devices. I tried many iterations of this and just couldn't get it to work reliably.

I do really like the black background and the bold red or green balance display. Sharp, except for the Totals box

Thanks again for your hard work! This is an app I use every day so I'm probably overly-passionate about it

User avatar
Angeman
Administrateur
Posts: 1925
Joined: 28 December 2008, 21:28
Location: Toulouse, France
Contact:

Re: iCompta3 - don't be discouraged

Post by Angeman » 11 October 2013, 00:29

JWD wrote:For me the most serious point seemed to be the apparent additional complexity of adding a new transaction.
Trainiac wrote:When I want to add an entry, I want it to be quick an painless. The new version failed on that. I did finally get a routine going (resting a finger on a dividing bar after each transaction section) but even after weeks of practice it took 2 or 3 times longer to add a simple entry. Category choosing seemed extremely cumbersome (I liked having more than one recent transaction to copy, though) and even when duplicating a previous category mix for a transaction sometimes the colors on the list screen were pastel but sometimes bright. Probably user error
This screen is going to be refactored soon.
Trainiac wrote:Getting to the transaction list for an account is a pain. Do I have two accounts highlighted? Oops. Dragging the list display over from the right side just seemed awkward even after a few weeks (sometimes it showed up automatically when I highlight an account but unpredictably)
Selecting multiple accounts will be an option in 3.0.2 so you should find it more natural to select an account.
Trainiac wrote:I guess I kind of understand what you're going for with transfers (linked account) but the double-arrow icon and quick entry on version 2 worked way better for me
This is going to be part of the new transaction screen refactoring.
Trainiac wrote:What's up with the font on the total summary? Just totally strange looking
I like that font ;-)
Trainiac wrote:Synchronization might have been the ultimate killer for me. I was hoping it could fold new entries into the shared file but on cloud and dropbox it kept just creating a new "Document 3", "Document 4", etc. when trying to sync up the data on multiple devices. I tried many iterations of this and just couldn't get it to work reliably.
Have you read the step by step paragraph here : http://www.icompta-app.com/help.php#synchronization ?

Post Reply