Where is my lost account?

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
Lenoir

Where is my lost account?

Post by Lenoir »

Recently I opened the iCompta program on my iMac, and I was astonished to find that all my checking account data was gone. In fact, the name of that account had even disappeared from the list of accounts in the left-hand panel. I certainly do not remember deleting such important information.

Not to worry , I thought, I keep a regular backup, using the Time Machine program.

My question is, just what file do search for recovery? And, where should I replace it so that then next time I open iCompta I will see that data reappear?

Charles Lenoir

Mac OS 10.6.6
iCompta version 4.0.11
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: Where is my lost account?

Post by Angeman »

You most likely just lost the reference to the last opened file so it might still be on your hard drive as well. Search for "compta" and you should find it. Files are stored in the "Documents" folder by default.
Lenoir

Post by Lenoir »

Un grand merci, Cyril, pour votre réponse si vite. While the iCompta data file was indeed in the correct folder on my hard drive, somehow it had become corrupted, I guess. Anyway, by searching for the file in Time Machine and using Quick Look, I found out that somehow the checking account item was present on May 21 and then disappeared from the document on the 22nd. So I replaced the data file on the hard drive with the one from May 21. I don't know why it happened, but I'm not preoccupied since I have the precious information back.

Incidentally, may I compliment you on your use of the English language. It is quite solid. I am an American (« États-Unien », comme les Québécois me font rappeler) now living in Montréal. I enjoy la langue de Molière but it is a daily challenge to speak correctly, and to write correctly. It would have been too laborious for me to have composed these messages in French: I am afraid that I still think in English. ;)
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

And if you don't mind sending me the corrupted file by email, that would be great as I could try to discover what happened and maybe fix a bug.