Applying rules several times, hand editing

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
melimeli

Applying rules several times, hand editing

Post by melimeli »

Hi,
I keep learning icompta in detail...so thanks for your support.

Let's consider this situation:

I import from a csv file the latest transactions of my real bank account into the corresponding icompta account.

I run in this icompta account the rules that I had defined before, that essentially consist in assigning categories automatically and/or splitting some regular ones, like invoices, with my partner.

Then, one month later I upload new transactions and I identify that there is a new type related with my car and that will happen regularly, so I expand an existing rule for this category (e.g. Car) to take into consideration this new name of transaction.

Since I have upload new transactions what I did was to apply the rules again to all transactions. But something was "broken" since I find that rules including splitting made that an extra split appeared in former transactions so I had to fix them by hand (since I did some otehr things before realising so I couldn't just go back).

So I'm not sure on what should I do when:
I add a new rule and/or modify an existing one, and I upload new transactions.

Another related question is: I run the rules, then I find some exceptions, so I change the category manually. How can avoid that this manual changes is override by an existing, expanded or new rule??

Thanks!
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: Applying rules several times, hand editing

Post by Angeman »

melimeli wrote: 04 December 2022, 21:32 Since I have upload new transactions what I did was to apply the rules again to all transactions. But something was "broken" since I find that rules including splitting made that an extra split appeared in former transactions so I had to fix them by hand (since I did some otehr things before realising so I couldn't just go back).
My advice is you shouldn't do that because it will probably mess everything up unless you set up your rules so that they won't be applied another time if they were already applied once. Applying the rules on a known subset of transactions make it easier to spot any mistakes and correct them before it's too late.
melimeli wrote: 04 December 2022, 21:32 Another related question is: I run the rules, then I find some exceptions, so I change the category manually. How can avoid that this manual changes is override by an existing, expanded or new rule??
The app can't check this for you unfortunately so it's entirely up to you to check your rules and make sure one won't conflict with another one.