Import from CSV

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
andresm

Import from CSV

Post by andresm »

Hi there,

I hope you are doing well.

I exported my 20 years of records from Microsoft Money into MoneyWiz (as you can imagine, it required lots of effort of changing from QIF into CSV, then making other fixes...).

I'm not fully satisfied with MoneyWiz (Microsoft Money is really good, a pity that it's no longer maintained and has no iPhone version...), so I've thought about moving into iCompta, but I'm having some problems when migrating the data.

I've exported my MoneyWiz records into CSV, and then imported into iCompta, but I'm having these problems:

1.- The bank transfers from one account into another account don't show in iCompta as bank transfers. For example, if I moved money (with the same date always in the source and destination account) from Account A into Account B, At the moment I just have an expense in Account A and an income in Account B in iCompta after the import.

I have a column with the source account, and another column with the destination account.

I have seen no option to notify iCompta during the import where can it find the transfer information (linked account).

2.- I have categories and subcategories. They appear in the same column as this:
Category > Subcategory

But on iCompta they are created as a single category: "Category > Subcategory"

3.- Also I have some tags (labels). I see that they could be used as Projects in iCompta, but there is no option to specify iCompta to grab that information during the import.

How can I import the tags?

Thanks!
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: Import from CSV

Post by Angeman »

andresm wrote: 25 April 2020, 13:47 1.- The bank transfers from one account into another account don't show in iCompta as bank transfers. For example, if I moved money (with the same date always in the source and destination account) from Account A into Account B, At the moment I just have an expense in Account A and an income in Account B in iCompta after the import.
iCompta is not able to recognize transfers during imports currently. But you can mark them as transfers after the import if you want.
andresm wrote: 25 April 2020, 13:47 2.- I have categories and subcategories. They appear in the same column as this:
Category > Subcategory
It should appear as Category : Subcategory in order to work in iCompta.
andresm wrote: 25 April 2020, 13:47 3.- Also I have some tags (labels). I see that they could be used as Projects in iCompta, but there is no option to specify iCompta to grab that information during the import.
Project is something you can set on splits not directly on transactions. And as you're importing CSV data there are only transactions. You can put it in the Comment field instead if you want.
andresm

Post by andresm »

Thanks for four prompt response again Angeman.
Angeman wrote: 25 April 2020, 14:53
andresm wrote: 25 April 2020, 13:47 1.- The bank transfers from one account into another account don't show in iCompta as bank transfers. For example, if I moved money (with the same date always in the source and destination account) from Account A into Account B, At the moment I just have an expense in Account A and an income in Account B in iCompta after the import.
iCompta is not able to recognize transfers during imports currently. But you can mark them as transfers after the import if you want.
I'm importing more than 20 years of transactions. Doing that manually is not an option :roll:

Isn't it possible that you add that feature into iCompta?

In the CSV there is a column when the transaction is a bank transfer, specifying the name of the destination/source account. Shouldn't be too difficult to add it, right? ;-)
Angeman wrote: 25 April 2020, 14:53
andresm wrote: 25 April 2020, 13:47 2.- I have categories and subcategories. They appear in the same column as this:
Category > Subcategory
It should appear as Category : Subcategory in order to work in iCompta.
I'll try it, thanks!

Thanks in advance,
Andrés.
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

andresm wrote: 25 April 2020, 17:45 Isn't it possible that you add that feature into iCompta?
Probably but that won't be in iCompta 6 sorry…
andresm

Post by andresm »

Thank you very much for your honesty Angeman.

I'm afraid then I will have to discard your good looking application. If you ever add that feature, please add a comment here if you don't mind so I notice ;)

Finding a good substitute for Microsoft Money is impossible :-(
andresm

Post by andresm »

Good morning Angeman,

I'm looking for a workaround for the problem of the missing transfer.

I've thought about adding in the Comment field that it's a transfer and where is it going.

After that maybe I could adjust that on iCompta. For example:

1.- I've looked to see if it's possible to perform a bulk change on multiple transactions (so I filter them and on all those that go to the same bank, specify it on the Linked field), but it seems that iCompta does not allow to do it.

2.- Also I've looked to see if I can create a rule, so when the transactions are imported, iCompta automatically assigns the linked bank account. But I'm not sure if that can be achieved.

Do you have any ideas please?

Thanks in advance.
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

andresm wrote: 26 April 2020, 10:26 1.- I've looked to see if it's possible to perform a bulk change on multiple transactions (so I filter them and on all those that go to the same bank, specify it on the Linked field), but it seems that iCompta does not allow to do it.
It does allow to perform a bulk change on multiple transactions, but don't do it because it will create a new transaction in the target account for every transaction you selected.
andresm wrote: 26 April 2020, 10:26 2.- Also I've looked to see if I can create a rule, so when the transactions are imported, iCompta automatically assigns the linked bank account. But I'm not sure if that can be achieved.
Same thing as above, it won't search for an existing transaction to link, it will create a new transaction in the target account instead.
andresm

Post by andresm »

For each transfer, in the CSV there is one transaction showing where the money comes from:
Account A -> Account B
-Amount

And another showing where the money goes:
Account B <- Account A
+Amount

Let's imagine that I can remove from the CSV the transfers with the "+Amount". That means that I would be removing the duplicate transaction in the destination account.

Also the category for transfers are empty.

If I enter into the category field the destination account, would be possible to create a rule in iCompta so when it imports the CSV, it adds automatically the link into that destination account?
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

What you're trying to do seems so complicated and will a be a source of errors for sure. If you absolutely want your transfers to be marked as such, selecting them in iCompta and right click > Convert as transfer will likely be faster and easier. Or you can just leave your old transactions as they are, they won't be marked as transfers for sure but honestly that doesn't seem such a big deal to me.
andresm

Post by andresm »

The problem is that those transactions appear as money going nowhere, so you can't know to which account did the money go, or where did it come from.

If I add that as a Comment, I will lose that information forever. I would have in your application old transfers which are not linked, and new transfers which are linked. That's not a good solution :-(

All apps support transfers during import. Could you please think about adding it please?