Problem changing bank account for credit card

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
cfryal

Problem changing bank account for credit card

Post by cfryal »

I have changed the debited bank account for a number of credit card accounts, and I'm trying to change the settings in iCompta.

When I select the new bank account as the debited account for a credit card, I would expect the next transfer to be the same amount as what it was with the previous debited bank account. That is, for all the transactions in the relevant period, the new bank account gets debited and the credit card gets credited: the payment is transferred from the bank account to the credit card. Only the source of the transfer should change (I think).

However, what actually happens after I change the debited bank account is that it debits the credit card and credits the bank account for most but not all categories of transactions in the relevant period.

I've experimented with switching my credit card accounts to other bank accounts as debited accounts, with the same results. The transfer ends up being 'backwards' for most but not all transactions.

I've noticed that I can probably work around this by creating new credit card accounts and moving this month's transactions into them, but it would be nice to understand if I'm doing something wrong here…

Is it possible to switch debited bank accounts for a credit card account after it has been up and running for a few years? Or is it expected behaviour to have to create a new credit card account if you want to debit a different bank account?

Thanks! Sorry if this is not clear. It's a weird problem…
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: Problem changing bank account for credit card

Post by Angeman »

In the credit card account you need to change the date of the first transfer to the date of the next transfer.
cfryal

Post by cfryal »

I did try changing the date of the first transfer before changing the debited bank account.

For example:
First transfer date: 2019/07/01
First transfer value date: 2019/07/27

…which will be the next transfer for a card that stops the ongoing balance on the last day of a month and transfers payment on the 27th.

Even after changing the transfer date, I get glitchy transfers.
cfryal

Post by cfryal »

New report: I tried doing this on a different machine (my MacBook Pro), and it worked as expected.

But when I opened the same iCompta database on the first machine (my iMac) the transactions were 'broken' in the same way as when I initially changed the bank account for transfers on the iMac.

Then when I opened the database again on the MacBook Pro, it was 'broken' the same way.

I have iCompta set to synchronise via Dropbox, but I don't have the databases open (or iCompta running) on both machines at the same time while I'm testing this.
cfryal

Post by cfryal »

One other thing: If I set the debited bank account back to the one that it was when the credit card was originally set up, the transfers go back to normal. No other bank account in my database except the 'original' account for the credit card produces a normal transfer.