Future of iCompta?

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
Torakikiii

Future of iCompta?

Post by Torakikiii »

Hi there.
It's been a while since v6 came out, more or less 2 years ago. Besides some incremental updates I haven't seen things moving on.

There are some good suggestions around this forum, some newer, some much older, that could be implemented. If not you could poll the user base for what they would like to see added. Whatever.

I'm "celebrating" 10 years of use in a few months, imagine the pain if I'd have to start it all over!
Can you please share what is your plan with iCompta, if any, for the future?

Thanks.
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: Future of iCompta?

Post by Angeman »

The plan is to release iCompta 7 with new features in some time. For that I first have to rewrite all the code in Swift to be future proof. If you have features that you really want be implemented in the new version feel free to stress them here.
patriciopat

Post by patriciopat »

Icompta 6 is a great program, I'm happy with it for both iphone and Mac. I've been using it for 2 years and it's the best one without a doubt. Maybe a version for Windows could be? In the program you can only improve the visual appearance of icons, or perhaps give more visual size to the general accounting journal. For when would this version 7 be? thank you
patriciopat

Post by patriciopat »

I hope that Icompta7 can use the data of version 6 as a migration, since this way the users of the version could update to the 7. These options will be possible? By the way and the version for Iphone-Ios will also have update? thank you.
adrianwi

Post by adrianwi »

Long time since I've posted, and I moved away from iCompta (and used YNAB for a couple of years) but back to using v6 for the last few years.

I'm looking to become a little more agnostic when it comes to operating systems, so would love to see a SaaS model. I know that won't suit everyone, but something I can run in a browser on Windows, macOS or Linux would be perfect.
varval

Post by varval »

Angeman wrote: 04 May 2019, 17:55 The plan is to release iCompta 7 with new features in some time. For that I first have to rewrite all the code in Swift to be future proof. If you have features that you really want be implemented in the new version feel free to stress them here.
Hi Angeman, it's been 2 years since your above comments. Do you have a rough ETA for iCompta 7?

Thanks
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

No ETA, ready when it's ready ;)
Torakikiii

Post by Torakikiii »

Another year is gone. A couple of days ago I had to fight off some dudes on reddit, when I suggested icompta as an app for budgeting, because they were saying it's abandonware.

Came here for news but I might start to have to agree with them tho, since nothing is moving on.
Look at this thread... it's years old.

You know I really love iCompta and have been using it for 10 years now but still... can we have some real glimpse on the future, if any, of this app?
The forum have collected a lot of good ideas to be eventually implemented. Ready when it's ready it's not a cool answer anymore if when=>infinite :roll:

Best,
Ivan
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Torakikiii wrote: 24 September 2022, 10:28 Another year is gone.
Yep and another one will probably go as well.
Torakikiii wrote: 24 September 2022, 10:28 A couple of days ago I had to fight off some dudes on reddit, when I suggested icompta as an app for budgeting, because they were saying it's abandonware.

Came here for news but I might start to have to agree with them tho, since nothing is moving on.
Look at this thread... it's years old.

You know I really love iCompta and have been using it for 10 years now but still... can we have some real glimpse on the future, if any, of this app?
The forum have collected a lot of good ideas to be eventually implemented. Ready when it's ready it's not a cool answer anymore if when=>infinite
If it was abandonware I wouldn't bother answering all questions on the forum like I do ;-)

Here is the thing, iCompta 6 uses old Apple technologies and in order to add new features I wanted to have a new modern foundation to build upon. So I started rewriting everything from scratch in Swift and SwiftUI but firstly, it makes muuuuch time and secondly, Apple brags everywhere how cool SwiftUI is (and it's true it's really cool) but it also misses so much stuff that makes me loose a lot time finding workarounds to make simple things that exist in iCompta 6 and that I obviously can't remove from iCompta 7.

The other thing is that iCompta's revenue is far from enough to make a living so I also have a full time job which obviously doesn't help get things moving quicker.

Anyway I started iCompta more than 15 years ago and I'm still there so I think I'm trustworthy when I say it's no abandonware but I certainly won't tell when iCompta 7 will be ready simply because I have no idea. All I can say is that I've done a lot of work these past years and I'm pretty happy with I've done so far. Still a lot to do but this year Apple has made some really nice improvements to SwiftUI in macOS 12 / iOS 16 that I waited for a long time and that will make my life easier.
Torakikiii

Post by Torakikiii »

cool to hear. I had in fact to point out that the developer is always reactive in the forum but still iCompta got downvoted.

Anyway, as I suggested before, I wouldn't mind paying for an incremental update if it brings some new things. That would help you getting some deserved cashflow and possibly motivate to work on the app.

At the end of the day I'm not particularly worried about when the app will be updated (well, I'd love to know! :D ) but more that it will keep going on because of the huge data I have in it after years of use.

Therefore, as long as you slowly upgrade it, it's fine to me. But I'd love to see new things implemented nevertheless :mrgreen:

Best.