Reconciliation of transfers updates linked transaction (even if locked)

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
drfrogsplat

Reconciliation of transfers updates linked transaction (even if locked)

Post by drfrogsplat »

My credit card payments are a transfer from one account to another, with the transaction in each account always occurring on different days (different institutions, evidently 1-2 days in transit). I assume this is pretty normal with transfers in general between banks.

I've just noticed that when reconciling during import, if I have the setting enabled to update the date on the transaction, it also updates the linked transaction, even if it is Locked. If I use this reconciliation, it means that one account always has the wrong date (or I have to manually fix it); if I don't, then I have to manually enter details/run rules on the non-matched transactions.

I'm not sure what the ideal behaviour should be for the linked transaction, but I think if it's Locked (and probably Cleared too) it would be best not to adjust the linked transaction at all, since the reconciliation seems more intended for clearing Planned/Created transactions?

A second related issue, if using Rules to 'Make a transfer', it would be nice to be able to set properties of the new transfer, e.g. it's state (i.e. Created, so I can easily update the details when reconciling it in subsequent import), and perhaps category/comment (though arguably I can do this at the time of reconciliation with a new rule). I think the ability to create the matching transaction with just the 'created' state that'd be ideal, since it's yet to be matched against import data where further rules could be applied at that time for setting the other parameters.

Alternatively, if there was a rule to seek out the matching transaction in the target account to set as transfer (with some parameters like ±N days), instead of creating one, the transfer could be hooked up when I import the matching transaction on the 2nd account.
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: Reconciliation of transfers updates linked transaction (even if locked)

Post by Angeman »

drfrogsplat wrote:My credit card payments are a transfer from one account to another, with the transaction in each account always occurring on different days (different institutions, evidently 1-2 days in transit). I assume this is pretty normal with transfers in general between banks.

I've just noticed that when reconciling during import, if I have the setting enabled to update the date on the transaction, it also updates the linked transaction, even if it is Locked. If I use this reconciliation, it means that one account always has the wrong date (or I have to manually fix it); if I don't, then I have to manually enter details/run rules on the non-matched transactions.

I'm not sure what the ideal behaviour should be for the linked transaction, but I think if it's Locked (and probably Cleared too) it would be best not to adjust the linked transaction at all, since the reconciliation seems more intended for clearing Planned/Created transactions?
You're right, the date of the linked transaction shouldn't be updated at all so I'll fix this in version 6.
drfrogsplat wrote:A second related issue, if using Rules to 'Make a transfer', it would be nice to be able to set properties of the new transfer, e.g. it's state (i.e. Created, so I can easily update the details when reconciling it in subsequent import), and perhaps category/comment (though arguably I can do this at the time of reconciliation with a new rule). I think the ability to create the matching transaction with just the 'created' state that'd be ideal, since it's yet to be matched against import data where further rules could be applied at that time for setting the other parameters.
In version 6 I will add a button that will allow to apply next actions to the created transaction so you will be able to do what you want.
drfrogsplat wrote:Alternatively, if there was a rule to seek out the matching transaction in the target account to set as transfer (with some parameters like ±N days), instead of creating one, the transfer could be hooked up when I import the matching transaction on the 2nd account.
Thanks for the idea, I'm not sure I will implement it but it's a good one.