v5 Changes

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
adrianwi

v5 Changes

Post by adrianwi »

I was quite excited today when I saw the pop-up for a new version of iCompta, for both OSX and iOS, so went straight to the App store and iTunes and paid for them both!

The excitement was relatively short lived though, after opening one of my accounts in the new version. Why does each transaction take up 3x the space of a transaction in the old version? I used to be able to view 3-4 months with the need for scrolling and now I can just about see 1, but can't see 2 to be able to compare. And why is entering the transactions so much more long winded. Before I just clicked a transaction and the details appeared in the right-hand window. Now I have to double click, and then click save to commit any changes. And what's with the black? I don't think I use any other OSX applications that look like v5, and whilst v4 never looked like something Apple had developed, it never looked that out of place.

Having converted one of my databases and entered some transactions, I've gone back to the old version and hope these issues can be resolved in the new one pretty quickly. I like the addition of syncing across OSX and iOS using iCloud or Dropbox, but not that much!
Brentener

Re: v5 Changes

Post by Brentener »

Hi have exactly the same problems with the new version. I did the same when the new version came out. I bought both of them. After a while I realized that there were some issues that made me go back to the previous version.

As you mentioned above, in order to change a transaction need more steps now as before. It is even more difficult to quickly add a category than before. I don't really understand the purpose of the additional save button under the transaction field. And that you have to double click the transaction makes the whole thing worse.

Usually A new version is a step forward and resolves issues from the previous one. This one seems to create some more issues that haven't been there before.

I do like the iCloud addition, but am still about to try to understand the procedure when using iPhone and iPad versions with the Macosx version.

Hope all this could be solved or at least be explained in the near future.
avancheri

Post by avancheri »

I agree with you: the new version is nice, the icloud synching is fantastic but... it's too much convoluted on making basic tasks.
robroberto89

Post by robroberto89 »

the problem now is when he will fix it
adrianwi

Post by adrianwi »

Somewhat disappointed by the lack of any response. One of the reasons for using was quick support :(
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

adrianwi wrote:The excitement was relatively short lived though, after opening one of my accounts in the new version. Why does each transaction take up 3x the space of a transaction in the old version? I used to be able to view 3-4 months with the need for scrolling and now I can just about see 1, but can't see 2 to be able to compare.
This can be changed in 5.0.1.
adrianwi wrote:Before I just clicked a transaction and the details appeared in the right-hand window. Now I have to double click, and then click save to commit any changes.
There is a shortcut to commit the changes : http://www.icompta-app.com/help.php#transactions (Creating a transaction)
adrianwi wrote:And what's with the black? I don't think I use any other OSX applications that look like v5, and whilst v4 never looked like something Apple had developed, it never looked that out of place.
Look at iPhoto for example ;-)
adrianwi wrote:Somewhat disappointed by the lack of any response. One of the reasons for using was quick support
You have to be patient because I'm literally overwhelmed with emails right now.
adrianwi

Post by adrianwi »

Angeman wrote:
adrianwi wrote:The excitement was relatively short lived though, after opening one of my accounts in the new version. Why does each transaction take up 3x the space of a transaction in the old version? I used to be able to view 3-4 months with the need for scrolling and now I can just about see 1, but can't see 2 to be able to compare.
This can be changed in 5.0.1 - good to hear!
adrianwi wrote:Before I just clicked a transaction and the details appeared in the right-hand window. Now I have to double click, and then click save to commit any changes.
There is a shortcut to commit the changes : http://www.icompta-app.com/help.php#transactions (Creating a transaction) - I can probably get used to that, although not sure what was wrong with a return, which is far more natural
adrianwi wrote:And what's with the black? I don't think I use any other OSX applications that look like v5, and whilst v4 never looked like something Apple had developed, it never looked that out of place.
Look at iPhoto for example ;-) - Don't use iPhoto (more of an Aperture man) but I wouldn't have thought photo cataloguing/editing software is where you should be taking design inspiration for a financial management package. The dark look is not a good one, and the option to have a lighter interface would be appreciated by many I'm sure.
adrianwi wrote:Somewhat disappointed by the lack of any response. One of the reasons for using was quick support
You have to be patient because I'm literally overwhelmed with emails right now - I can only begin to imagine! No rush, but I'll be sticking with the old version until some of these and other issues have been resolved. You'd have been better focusing on the functionality, rather than trying to fix something that wasn't broken
adrianwi

Post by adrianwi »

I think you've lost me :(

Just spent an hour or so playing with YNAB and will be moving my personal financial management across to this. I'd have a look and maybe take some future design inspiration from them and not iPhoto!

Won't be asking for a refund for the v5 program and app, as I've been a happy user for the last 5-6 years, and happy with what it's cost me overall.

Good luck. I'll check back from time to time to see how you're getting on...
reuel

Post by reuel »

I've been waiting for V5 for a while, and I'm happy with it. Love iCloud integration, professional features (if you enable them in preferences, the accounts list is moving up or something, I don't know what happens but the word account was hidden after enabling/disabling a few times :)) and much more. It seems like a really good base for future development (there are bugs, but I see and really appreciate all the time you are putting in it - even though there are so many people requesting and complaining). For know: +1 for an optional light interface (Maybe have a look at the new iCal instead of iPhoto ;-))

Enjoy developing and making iCompta even better, little by little!