Vanishing or altered entries

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
ubar

Re: Vanishing or altered entries

Post by ubar »

Angeman wrote:Unfortunately there is nothing to be learn in the messages you pasted above. Can you give me some examples (name, date, amount, etc.) of transactions that "vanished" ?
I only use one "account" and no entries for that account are linked to other accounts or "people". The item that vanished today was for £140 debit, dated 9th July 2013, originally created a few weeks ago and edited today (to change the amount and description.

The items that vanish are for various amounts, there seems to be no pattern there. Sometimes they are items scheduled for the future, sometimes they are items that have already been reconciled and checked off. It seems to usually happen to items that have been recently amended, but I'm not sure if that's always the case. Sometimes they are one-off items, sometimes they are recurring items. As I said above, all these are in one account only, with no links to other accounts or people.

Just shout if you need any more info, it is of course in my best interests to tell you as much as I can! :lol:
ubar

Post by ubar »

I noticed something very interesting today, which might go some way to explaining what's been happening.

Because of the problems I've been having and I've been looking for an alternative to iCompta. I downloaded a few free trials today and exported my iCompta transactions to the other software. I noticed that some transactions are not copied correctly.

Example:

I entered the item 'Groceries' for £86.68. Today, I edited the amount and changed it to £79.92. I saved iCompta. The item looks as it should, correctly displayed, the correct amount. BUT, that item reverted to £86.68 when it was exported. I have no idea why this should be but perhaps you will have a better idea!

I also noticed that another item which I had amended (this time it was the date that changed) also exported incorrectly, and is displayed in the new software with the original date.

Both these transactions look fine in iCompta. Just now I closed and reopened iCompta to see what would happen and the items were displayed correctly. Everything else about the export appears to be fine, there aren't any error messages, date configuration problems etc. It's very specific. Hopefully this will help you figure out what the problem is.

Incidentally, I'm a little disappointed at the lack of support I've encountered regarding this issue. I last posted on this thread over two weeks ago and have had no reply. I get the very strong impression that you aren't trying very hard and that you're only interested in quick-fix problems. :( I've had to chase you several times and feel like you're hoping I'll give up. That's why I'm now looking at alternatives to iCompta. I don't mind bugs in software as long as the tech support is good and I believe that someone is trying to address the problem.

Unfortunately you will lose out in the end, as I was approached by someone at Uni asking me about the personal budget software I use and I explained that as things stand I can't recommend iCompta and that I'm looking for a replacement. I gave a talk to a class of freshers who will be starting in September, stressing the importance of good financial management and I suggested that they all look into the various software available. iCompta was not on the list of software I recommended and isn't likely to be at this rate. I think I'll leave feedback on the App Store because the lack of follow up reflects very badly on you as a developer, which is a real shame.

I'd still like to know if you can fix this.
ubar

Post by ubar »

P.S. Is this something to do with the "Revert" feature? I've never used it but have just noticed it in the "File" menu. Seems to make sense - items are sometimes reverting to old data which was edited and saved, or vanishing.
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Among all developers I'm certainly one of those who assist their users the most, I answer every single post on the forum and I reply to every mail I receive the fastest I can. There are more than 40,000 iCompta users and you are the only one having this unexplainable behavior so I don't know how you manage your accounts file but I can tell you that nothing is reverted or modified behind your back.
ubar

Post by ubar »

No, I never meant that someone (i.e. you/someone on your team) is accessing my account remotely and changing things behind my back! :-D I was just clutching at straws trying to imagine how this keeps happening. It's bizarre and I can't figure it out.
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

ubar wrote:No, I never meant that someone (i.e. you/someone on your team) is accessing my account remotely and changing things behind my back!
That wasn't what I wanted to mean either, of course no one has access to your computer ;-) I wanted to say that the software doesn't revert or modify transactions without a user interaction. Anyway, you can send me your accounts file if you want to me to investigate further.