Incorrect running balance calculation

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
Fourcue

Incorrect running balance calculation

Post by Fourcue »

Hello to developer:
Unless I am doing something wrong, I am experiencing a critical bug: the running balance is not recalculated when a transaction is inserted (that is: a new transaction is added on a date earlier than the latest transaction date for the account).
The running balance is calculated correctly only after saving the file, quitting the application and then reopening the file.
This is significantly compromising my confidence in the reliability of the software and I hope --unless I am missing something-- there is a work-around (other than the one described above) or a quick fix for this important problem.
Please address this as quickly as possible. Thank you.
Forcue

Can't attach illustration; sending it to support email...
Fourcue

Re: Incorrect running balance calculation

Post by Fourcue »

Update:
This error appears to be reproducible and seems
- often (but not always) to involve transfers between 2 accounts (in the same or different currencies);
- sometimes to occur when changing the date of a previously entered transaction
- sometimes to occur when capturing a transaction is "interrupted" by a sub-task (for example creating a category).

Fourcue
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Can you send me the log messages that start with iCompta from /Applications/Utilities/Console.app ?
Fourcue

Post by Fourcue »

There are no messages that start with iCompta in the Console app. Actually, I cannot find the "iCompta" string anywhere in the Console.
Any suggestions?

PS: I would like to be able to post the relevant screen shots. Please make this possible, or provide instructions. Thank you.
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

I received you screenshot by mail so that's good. Which system do you run, 10.5 or 10.6 ?
Fourcue

Post by Fourcue »

Here's the system the software is running on under OS X 10.6.7

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac11,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 12 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: IM111.0034.B02
Fourcue

Post by Fourcue »

WTF? Since the most recent update to 4.0.10, some of the transaction (specifically a transfer between two accounts in different currencies) now show 3 digits after the decimal point. Maybe some people would find this extra precision useful. I find it make reading the running balance even more confusing. If this is not a bug, perhaps this could be made user selectable.

Furthermore, if you try and enter an adjustment which includes a number with 3 decimal digits, the software interprets this as a number 1,000 times larger with no decimals: example an amount typed in [with a decimal POINT] as 297.457 (i.e. two hundred ninety seven decimal 457) appears as 297,457.00 (i.e. two hundred and ninety seven thousand, four hundred and fifty seven exactly). :(

The incorrect running balance calculation has not been fixed by release 4.0.10. This is a serious bug so, caveat emptor users intending to do multi-currency accounting.

Sorry, my forum account still not enabled to be able to include a screen shot to illustrate this for developer and other users.
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Fourcue wrote:If this is not a bug, perhaps this could be made user selectable.
Will be fixed in V5.
Fourcue wrote:The incorrect running balance calculation has not been fixed by release 4.0.10. This is a serious bug so, caveat emptor users intending to do multi-currency accounting.
I still can't reproduce the bug that's why I've not been able to fix it.
Fourcue

Post by Fourcue »

Fourcue wrote:The incorrect running balance calculation has not been fixed by release 4.0.10. This is a serious bug so, caveat emptor users intending to do multi-currency accounting.
Angeman wrote:I still can't reproduce the bug that's why I've not been able to fix it.
Well, I still get the bug in the main file I have been working with (about 30 accounts and 6 currencies) and -thinking perhaps this file may be damaged in some way- I made a new "Trial" file with only 2 accounts, 1 in EUR and 1 in GBP, and can reproduce the same error easily.
The problem is --as stated earlier-- when doing transfers, then changing their date, going to the destination account, editing the transaction again, then making another transfer at an earlier date... The error can appear at any part of this sequence or similar sequences.
The same work-around still works: "Save,Quit,Reopen". Balances are now correct again. After reopening a file, the first few transfers and edits seem to work fine, then the error appears.
The attachment below illustrates the running balance problem and also the 3 decimal precision problem (see value of 17/05/2011 credit £96.238 when should be £96.24).
Odd BalancesV2.jpg
Odd BalancesV2.jpg (98 KiB) Viewed 11889 times
PS: You suggested that I should send you the Console file on iCompta but there is still nothing about iCompta in the file...
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

I finally found the bug so it will be fixed in 4.0.11 available shortly.