Performance Concerns

Discussions about iCompta on iOS
d3vah

Performance Concerns

Post by d3vah »

Dear Lyricapps,
I'm an happy iCompta user for the last year both on iPhone and Mac. I use your apps almost obsessively.
I'm writing you this post because I do have some concerns about iCompta on iPhone.

I have a 3G and during the last year of updates the application is getting slower and slower to start up. I use iCompta on the iPhone to jot my expenses on the go so it has become almost unusable because it takes almost 2/3 minutes to open the app, write down the expense, and save. That's sad.

I am a software developer myself so I understand that slowness might come both from the increase of data imported, and from features enhancements. I might suggest new loading techniques like the one used by the Omnifocus App. Omnifocus suffered exactly the same issue but they were able to enable the "add features" while loading is in progress. This means that I can insert an action in the app while still loading, 30 seconds and work is done. If I need the full features of the App I can wait.

Please consider these performance issues, not anyone has an iPhone 3gs or 4, your app is a great piece of code :)

Thanks in advance for your support

Ciro
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: Performance Concerns

Post by Angeman »

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll definitely consider it for next versions.
AlexSmall

Post by AlexSmall »

Let me put my two cents in :).
I've moving to iCompta (iPhone/Mac) from Adarian Money (PalmOS/Win). I imported all my transactions since 01/01/2008 (huge number of data, i should say) and mentioned that on iPhone version starting and saving of data takes about minute. I understood that having almost three years of transactions log is too much but i need them all (stock trading data and personal finance statistic). Could you improve loading and saving big amount of transactions and reduce starting time? Also after start of the application it still slow and any action like add transaction and add name of transaction takes 3-5 seconds.
Btw, Adarian Money (not an advertisement!) work with same data much faster even on Palm Treo 650 which is not the modern and fast device like iPhone3G that i have now.
I could help you with testing/fixing of performance issues if you need. I could provide data for it at least.

And thank you for this excellent App, I would stick with it and I can provide many improvement requests because i plan to use this app on the go to track any my transactions. I have big experience in applications of this kind and should say that your one is the best that i seen for iPhone and i hope we will do it better and faster ;).

PS. I have several crashes after load big data (on iPhone), once it ended by loose categories in transactions for whole Account. My suggestion is to add some kind of backup history and let users to switch to backup if current file become corrupted. I also could provide you these crash reports.
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

AlexSmall wrote:PS. I have several crashes after load big data (on iPhone), once it ended by loose categories in transactions for whole Account. My suggestion is to add some kind of backup history and let users to switch to backup if current file become corrupted. I also could provide you these crash reports.
You can use the embedded backup server to keep backups of your file if you want. Yes you can send me the crash reports.
AlexSmall

Post by AlexSmall »

You can use the embedded backup server to keep backups of your file if you want. Yes you can send me the crash reports.
Yes, I know. But it is not what I mean. I mean fast restore of file when I on the go (w/o access to other devices).