Feature request/addition:

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
headbirth

Feature request/addition:

Post by headbirth »

Could you add "Highlight transaction" to the actions section of the rules?

Thanks!
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: Feature request/addition:

Post by Angeman »

Sure, this will be in next update.
JohnNigh

Post by JohnNigh »

Another feature request, apologies if it has already been dealt with.

Down the right hand side of the iCompta screen runs the set of characteristics of a transaction. This is my first financial year and I haven't yet used the information to organise my personal taxation records as yet. However, I haven't seen any easy way to flag transactions as 'tax deductible' for myself or my wife. I have tried using the filters to do this, but it is terribly cumbersome. The easiest way seems to be to filter an account by date then export and open with Excel then edit that file. Do this for each account in turn. If there was a 'tax-relevant Person 1(2...n)' characteristic that I could use for each transaction then a simple filter would be available at the end of the financial year to sort expenditure transactions for each of us. That filter would then be saved, and provided my set of categories is appropriate, I could then create a list of tax-deductible expenditures for each account and export that to Excel. Even better would be to gather all such expenditures to a single place from which to export, perhaps similar to the Budgets list on the left hand side under the accounts. Thus a 'Person 1 tax' and 'Person 2 tax' would appear.

Of course, this type of gathering of transactions need not be for tax purposes. There are other reasons for gathering transactions together for export so a more general name than 'tax' might be appropriate if such a thing could be created.

If this is already possible, but I've not discovered it, please let me know. Any suggestions about doing the tax records more simply gratefully received.
Cheers,
John :D
Cheers,
John
headbirth

Post by headbirth »

Why don't you create a category tag called "Tax Deduction" and just tag those items ... you could also just use the highlight feature to flag them as well. Then just filter the view to only show "Tax Deduction".

You could even just add a comment in one of the comment in the kind note field or category note field or transaction note field and do sorts based on that.
JohnNigh

Post by JohnNigh »

Hmmm, so I'd tag a categorised transaction, say one that was in the category 'Music Cds and scores' (we're musicians), with another category 'Tax deductible' with a zero %/$ amount, and gather it and all other 'Tax deductibles' with the filter, then export to a spreadsheet and re-sort by the substantive categories, such as 'Music Cds and scores', 'travel', 'IT', 'Donations to registered charities' etc etc. :geek: I guess it would do the job, but it's a bit of a work-around.
If that's the best that can be done then it should be put into the Help page so ordinary users like me can read how to do it. May be more intuitive to have such a tag embedded in the transaction characteristics so it can be done with a single click per transaction instead of the bunch of clicks to add the extra transaction and zero the $.

Look forward to any opinion on this from our friend, Angeman, who does all the work for us ;)

Thanks for the suggestion, headbirth, until further notice I'll give it a go. :)
Cheers,
John
JohnNigh

Post by JohnNigh »

One other thought on the 'Tax Deductible' category tag: I often have multiple tags on a single expenditure. Sometimes one of the categories, for, say, 25% of the transaction, is tax relevant. The work-around suggested by headbirth would still mean further sorting of the filtered transaction after exporting to my tax spreadsheet. Being able to flag only the relevant piece of the transaction for filtering would be useful.
Cheers,
John
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

I've planned to add a new tagging system in addition to categories that will do exactly what you asked. You will be able to tag a percentage / amount of a transaction and then see the total amount of the tag.
joaoalm

Post by joaoalm »

Hi,
I have two suggestions:
1) Is it possible to enable adding a category to a transaction with the keyboard? As we write all the previous details of the transaction, it's not very convenient to use the mouse to select a category; I don't know if it is very difficult to do this, but I think a search-able text box would be great (where we'd start typing the category and suggestions appeared - like when you type something in google and it completes what you we're writing - but the suggestions would be the categories [or group of categories] we already added)

2) when I go to a friend's "account" and add a transaction saying he owes me 10€, this amount does not appear on total money he owes or is owed (the little summary beneath the name, in italic on "People". Could you fix this please?

Thanks
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

joaoalm wrote:1) Is it possible to enable adding a category to a transaction with the keyboard? As we write all the previous details of the transaction, it's not very convenient to use the mouse to select a category; I don't know if it is very difficult to do this, but I think a search-able text box would be great (where we'd start typing the category and suggestions appeared - like when you type something in google and it completes what you we're writing - but the suggestions would be the categories [or group of categories] we already added)
Ok I'll try to add that.
joaoalm wrote:2) when I go to a friend's "account" and add a transaction saying he owes me 10€, this amount does not appear on total money he owes or is owed (the little summary beneath the name, in italic on "People". Could you fix this please?
For this to work, you have to set yourself as the account owner of your accounts in the account window.
joaoalm

Post by joaoalm »

Angeman wrote:
joaoalm wrote:2) when I go to a friend's "account" and add a transaction saying he owes me 10€, this amount does not appear on total money he owes or is owed (the little summary beneath the name, in italic on "People". Could you fix this please?
For this to work, you have to set yourself as the account owner of your accounts in the account window.
Not sure I made my self clear.

http://gyazo.com/04acd5d26d5d422f4367416dad99edda.png

I this print screen, person B owes me 24€, that I "inputted" when I registered a group purchased on my "wallet account" (and this shows up beneath his name)
On person A, however, I added she owes me 23,99€ and that doesn't show up beneath her name.

If you had already understood what I meant, could you please explain better what I have to do (because I'm already the owner of my accounts and have no co-owners on any of them)?