Suggestions

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
gualtie

Suggestions

Post by gualtie »

After few days of intensive use (more than 20000 transaction imported from Microsft Money 2000 exported QIF files), I have something to suggest. (OK, the application works very fine for me, I've just bougth it and I want to support it in order to get it even better, and they are only my opinions ;) )

Advanced filter and rules:
  • please introduce the "is empty" and "is non empty" filter.
Categories:
  • let to specify people at categories level. If you have a multicategorized transaction, it would be appreciated to specify people to whom is referred a single category
    Rules
    • enhance the action list with a "replace" category action. Now you can only add a new category not replace another category, with same amount and percentage
    Reconciliation
    • add an automatic fund transfer from a selected account if you are reconciling a credit card account. Normally this kind of account implies an amount to be transferred in order to pay the credit card company
    Speed:
    • Increase speed if possibile: as example (but not only these two) switching from an account to another one is a bit slow. It's also slow adding a new task (and I've an i7 quad core…)
    Best regards and thanks for your support.
    JohnNigh

Re: Suggestions

Post by JohnNigh »

To speed reconciliations, link the 'date reconciled' box to the action of clicking on the reconciled button in the transaction pane. I currently don't bother to set the date reconciled, but probably I should.

Allow the user to choose the default date displayed on creating a new transaction as either today's date or the date of the last new transaction created since the application was opened. This would speed up entering transactions for, eg, the last week, when the user enters transactions only at a convenient time each week. My habit is to gather the receipts and order them by date then enter the week's activity - it's only a household after all - then destroy all receipts not further required to prevent them being used by scammers who search for credit card data in waste bins.

Cheers,
    John
    gualtie

Post by gualtie »

Hi,
    I know that my old enhancement suggestions haven't been considered by Angeman (yet? bad suggestions? misunderstand? not well explained? ;) ), however I'll try to make other suggestions in order to improve categories.

First please add the "add Category" button in the transaction detail at the end of the cetgories list. If you have a lot of categories in the transaction, you have to scroll at the top in order to add a new category and it takes extra time.

Second, please consider to improve reports.

I use categories to detail a transaction in a supermarket. So I have created a lot of categories, for every product I use to buy for my familiy (for example a brand of milk or biscuits or mineral water or coca cola bottle and so on). Well I need a report where I can look at the price of a certain product (category) bougth in different stores, and help me to answer the question: where I've payed for this product (category) the lower price?
    As a turnaround, I've exported in csv format and then imported it in excel, where I've built a pivot table, in order to find the max price in every supermarket/store where I've bougth it.. but it's a bit complicated...

Thanks for your attention.
    Gualtiero
    JohnNigh

Post by JohnNigh »

I am on holiday in Switzerland and so have now an account in Chf. The program asks me to specify an exchange rate, so I did so. But when I entered my local currency used to purchase the Swiss francs, as a transfer to the Chf account, it was not converted at the rate of exchange I had specified.

Many users would be much more regular and intensive users of the multiple currencies facility offered by iCompta than me.

It would be logical for the program to make this transformation, if not use some online currency converter to do so automatically.

Best wishes,
    John
    Cheers,
    John
    Angeman
    Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Thanks to both of you for all your suggestions, I'll try to implement them in future releases.
    JohnNigh wrote:I am on holiday in Switzerland and so have now an account in Chf. The program asks me to specify an exchange rate, so I did so. But when I entered my local currency used to purchase the Swiss francs, as a transfer to the Chf account, it was not converted at the rate of exchange I had specified.

Many users would be much more regular and intensive users of the multiple currencies facility offered by iCompta than me.

It would be logical for the program to make this transformation, if not use some online currency converter to do so automatically.
    Could you post a screenshot of the problem ? Because the exchange rate is used to convert amounts when making transfers. Please note however that when making a transfer the amount is considered to be in the currency of the debited account.