Envelopes

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
Torakikiii

Envelopes

Post by Torakikiii »

Hi there,
my 2 cents on the envelopes feature.

At the moments, as it is, it's just another way to display the budget data. The envelopes method, as old as it is, it's indeed efficient for managing rebalancing of resources.

Since it seems 90% of the job it's there already, I'm hoping that in the future an important feature will be added, and it's the possibility to move money from one envelop to another to compensate any overspending.

I.e.
Leisure envelope has a 300 budget / 150 Spent
Utilities envelop has 250 budget / 275 Spent

It would be super useful being able to "move" 25 euro/whatever from the Leisure envelop to the Utilities envelope. iCompta then should show me a 125 euro left for leisure and a zero balance for utilities. Super useful would also if it kept track of when and where I moved money.

I hope to see it implemented sooner or later, I really dig for a more robust budgeting on my beloved iCompta.

Ivan
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: Envelopes

Post by Angeman »

You can already do that with drag&drop.
Torakikiii

Post by Torakikiii »

How did you dare hiding such a useful feat? :D
Torakikiii

Post by Torakikiii »

While I'm still mildly in love with envelopes... is there any interaction with the classic budget screeen?

Example... I move 100€ from food to utilities, utilities starts with 50 euro. Now utilities's budget is boosted to +100 euro totaling at 150€ and the envelope shows a different icon to prove it.

If I switch back to the "classic" view the budget for utilities it's still at 50€ not taking in account the +100€ I put into it.

Is that intended or am I missing something again?
Moreover... would it be possible to "track" where I moved moeny from and into? Although the totals is what matters, it's make life easier when moving things back and forth.

Edit: do you need to manually replenish envelopes each month?

Cheers,
Ivan
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Torakikiii wrote: 10 August 2017, 15:47 Is that intended or am I missing something again?
Yes this is intended
Torakikiii wrote: 10 August 2017, 15:47 Moreover... would it be possible to "track" where I moved moeny from and into? Although the totals is what matters, it's make life easier when moving things back and forth.
No you can't see it in curent version
Torakikiii wrote: 10 August 2017, 15:47 Edit: do you need to manually replenish envelopes each month?
Yes
Torakikiii

Post by Torakikiii »

Angeman wrote: 10 August 2017, 17:08
Torakikiii wrote: 10 August 2017, 15:47 Is that intended or am I missing something again?
Yes this is intended
Care to explain me the reason behind it for the sake of curiosity? I just don't get it (unless it's something just not implemented (yet?))
Angeman wrote: 10 August 2017, 17:08
Torakikiii wrote: 10 August 2017, 15:47 Moreover... would it be possible to "track" where I moved moeny from and into? Although the totals is what matters, it's make life easier when moving things back and forth.
No you can't see it in curent version
Can that be read like "I plan to work on it in the next version"? ;)

Anyway while I was at it... some things you might want to take into consideration
- I needed a new envelope for a monthly goal... I had to create a new category and then add it inside my budget but then it's showing in the budget screen too.
I wonder if you could add an "hide/show in envelopes" or better "hide/show in budget" checkbox or something.
- for the manual refill... it would be great if at least iCompta would copy previous months amounts.

Cheers.
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Torakikiii wrote: 10 August 2017, 20:57 Care to explain me the reason behind it for the sake of curiosity? I just don't get it (unless it's something just not implemented (yet?))
Because the budgeted amounts are not modified when you move cash between enveloppes and so the progress bars don't change.
Torakikiii wrote: 10 August 2017, 20:57 Can that be read like "I plan to work on it in the next version"?
No I don't think so because only the total is what matters and it would clutter the user interface.
Torakikiii wrote: 10 August 2017, 20:57 - I needed a new envelope for a monthly goal... I had to create a new category and then add it inside my budget but then it's showing in the budget screen too.
I wonder if you could add an "hide/show in envelopes" or better "hide/show in budget" checkbox or something.
If other people ask for this I'll probably add it.
Torakikiii wrote: 10 August 2017, 20:57 - for the manual refill... it would be great if at least iCompta would copy previous months amounts.
I agree but it's complicated as each category in a budget has not necessarily the same duration.
ptr.chovan

Post by ptr.chovan »

I'm not sure if I understood correctly but I would also like to see transferring certain amount from one category to another. So far I have to create false transaction with one category and another false transaction with another category. For example I'm automatically assign certain amount of money with scheduler every week for category electricity and gas. Sometimes I'm paying less electricity then calculated on the payday then on gas so I end up in minus on gas category and plus on electricity category. To get gas category to 0 I have to create false credited transaction to gas and false debited transaction on electricity to make account balance correct. It would be nice to transfer money between categories without making these false transactions.
I'm sorry if I'm off the topic. I assumed the envelopes means categories
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Envelopes is an alternate way to monitor your budget : http://www.icompta-app.com/help.php#budgets
ptr.chovan

Post by ptr.chovan »

right.. budget.. sorry ;)