Sharing expenses

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
quiup

Sharing expenses

Post by quiup »

Hi all,
I'd like to ask you for advice about sharing expenses. I'll use an example based on my case.
- I have two accounts; my girlfriend's account and mine.
- We both pay for food, rent, apartment's expenses...
Imagine the rent's payment transaction: 1000€ paid by me.
Scenario 1:
In the transaction, I'll write:
100% category "Rent"
50% person "Girlfriend" (that sounds rude, I use her name usually :D ).
Doing that, I'll have the correct amount in the Category "Rent" and in People's section I'll see that my girlfriend owes me 500€. But, I'll also have an income of 500€ (no category).

Scenario 2:
If I write it as:
50% category "Rent"
50% person "Girlfriend".
I'll have the just 500€ assigned to "Rent" which is not correct.

Is there any way to solve this? I know I can stop using Person's feature but it's a great feature to know who's paying more at the end of the month.
I know is ask a lot to modify the program for just one demand, but it'll possible to add to People's feature a checkbox to ignore this "500€ of income".
Thanks for your support and congratulations for your program.
Quique
PS: I am not an English speaker, sorry if some phrases are not correct.
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: Sharing expenses

Post by Angeman »

Scenario 2 is correct as you only pay 500€ for rent indeed. The other 500€ are the part of your girlfriend and therefore shouldn't be included in your statistics.
quiup

Post by quiup »

Hi Angeman,
Thanks for your reply. Actually, we "share" iCompta, so her account is also in the program.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my goal. An example: in order to know how much we've dispensed in one category in the last month, I select both accounts (hers and mine) and check the category. The Scenario 2 doesn't fulfill my needs as it will say that we've only pay 500€ in Rent category.
But, I've found a way to make it work. Kind of a workaround. Let me show you how it works:
There is an entry, let's say from a day we went to have dinner with some friends.
She paid 50€ using her card. So, in her account will apear an expense of 50€ assigned to Restaurants category. Well, since at the end of the month we want to pay the same for everything, I'll owe her 25€. If I add these 25€ in People tab, she'll get an income of 25€ unassigned. Well, in order to avoid that I've created a rule to add herself in People (usually you can't add the same person that holds the account) with a 50% (in this case, 25€).
This way, we have 50€ in Restaurants category. In People section it will say "I owe her 25€" and no unassigned extra income will be informed.
I don't know if this can be helpful for anyone else...
williams1415

Post by williams1415 »

Hi

This is a great app - and I can say that having tried them all! I do have a problem with participants though. I understand that shared transactions have to be cleared manually when they are re-paid, but the total of the amount owed seems to appear as income in statistics. Is there any way of stopping iCompta from adding it to income, as this distorts the true picture - until the debt is repaid, then it is not actually income?
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

You should add the participant to the payback transaction as well and not tag it with a category. This way it won't be considered as income.