First impressions #2

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
Marro

First impressions #2

Post by Marro »

June 2009 I posted my "First impressions" on iCompta version 3. At that time it had not the subcategory feature in it, which I needed (coming from Quicken de Luxe for Windows). The feature was announced for version 4. And, behold, it is there. So I installed iCompta, and ... it has just blown me away.

Three remarks, though.
1. importing a QIF file the transaction date is translated into the current date. I tried all the options in the import dialog, but none of them had the result I hoped for

2. When filtering transactions on categories, and the criteria is the parent category, I expected also the transactions in the subcategories of that parent category to be filtered. This not being so and seeing the listing of the filtered transactions, I can understand why: the field category (in the line of a transaction with a subcategory) does not contain the name of the parent category.
I think of two options to get this resolved:
a. Both names (name#1: name#2) are in the field Category) like in the Advanced Filter window is shown, or (more complicated I think)
b. A checkbox is added in the Advanced Filter window wether yes or no the subcategories are to be taken into account.
The way to have all transactions of all subcategories filtered is to put all of them in the criteria list; which can be time consuming, depending on the amount of subcategories.

3. In my first post I suggested that when a transfer is deleted from one of the two linked accounts, the transaction should automatically be deleted from the other account. This also was promised ;) for version 4, but I found it has not been added.

A new suggestion is that a preference can be put with which account visible the file should be opened,and that the transaction(s) with the current date are "in focus",
I need some more time to evaluate but I am already saving some money :lol: to buy the program.

Thanks and regards.
Martin
Regards,

Martin
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: First impressions #2

Post by Angeman »

Marro wrote:1. importing a QIF file the transaction date is translated into the current date. I tried all the options in the import dialog, but none of them had the result I hoped for
Post an extract of your file with a date and I'll tell you the date format to use.
Marro wrote:2. When filtering transactions on categories, and the criteria is the parent category, I expected also the transactions in the subcategories of that parent category to be filtered. This not being so and seeing the listing of the filtered transactions, I can understand why: the field category (in the line of a transaction with a subcategory) does not contain the name of the parent category.
I think of two options to get this resolved:
a. Both names (name#1: name#2) are in the field Category) like in the Advanced Filter window is shown, or (more complicated I think)
b. A checkbox is added in the Advanced Filter window wether yes or no the subcategories are to be taken into account.
The way to have all transactions of all subcategories filtered is to put all of them in the criteria list; which can be time consuming, depending on the amount of subcategories.
There is a quicker way to do this, you can select one or more parent categories in the filter bar before clicking on the advanced filter button. This way the filter will be initialized with all subcategories.
Marro wrote:3. In my first post I suggested that when a transfer is deleted from one of the two linked accounts, the transaction should automatically be deleted from the other account. This also was promised for version 4, but I found it has not been added.
This is how it works but the transfer has to be created with the "Make transfer" toolbar button.
Marro

Post by Marro »

The date format in the QIF file is mm-dd-yy; the date format in a csv file (from my bank) is dd-mm-yyyy. In both cases I changed the date format in the import dialog accordingly. Nevertheless the dates are translated into the current date. So please let me know what I do wrong.

Got it. Thanks

Yes, I did, but the transaction in the other account remains. Only when the amount is changed in one account, it is also changed in the other account.
Regards,

Martin
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Marro wrote:The date format in the QIF file is mm-dd-yy; the date format in a csv file (from my bank) is dd-mm-yyyy. In both cases I changed the date format in the import dialog accordingly. Nevertheless the dates are translated into the current date. So please let me know what I do wrong.
Replace mm with MM in your date format and it should work.
Marro wrote:Yes, I did, but the transaction in the other account remains. Only when the amount is changed in one account, it is also changed in the other account.
Yes you're right this a bug and it will be corrected in next update.
Marro

Post by Marro »

Replace mm with MM in your date format and it should work.

I only had to change "/" in the dialog into "-". :) Both "MM" and "mm" can be used.

Yes you're right this a bug and it will be corrected in next update.

OK, fine. Looking forward to
Regards,

Martin