just one question

Discussions about iCompta on iOS
Pickeld

just one question

Post by Pickeld »

first of all i like your work, u did a great job! i tried several apps but i'm sure ill stick to this one after ill understand some issues,
as u can tell, English isn't my main language, therefor i cant understand what "Reconciled" and "Pending" mean. i'm not a big fan of financial stuff and i just want to manage my expenses. what are the differences between the two, and when do i use each one.

please write so ill understand it one and for all.

thanks and keep on doing great great job.
David Pickel.
mm_v8

Re: just one question

Post by mm_v8 »

English is NOT my native language. Actually in my language (Japanese), "Reconcile" is commonly used in accounting world as is in English without translation.
"Reconcile" is, in other words, Collation or Check.
More concretely, when you received a monthly bank statement or a credit card statment, you check one by one to make it sure no error in it.
That kind of work is called "Reconcile".

So, in iCompta, you can use;
1) First, when spend something, draw money from the account, pay by credit card, you input a new transaction in iCompta. You use "Pending".
2) When you receive a bank statement or a credit card statment, you collate it with the data in iCompta.
3) if you find each item is ok, then, you change it from "Pending" to "Reconciled". (you can just tap small mark at the left side of each item.)

This function is useful to manage the bill from credit card company or periodically check your bank account.

In case of cash account, it is not really necessary but still useful when you may want to adjust iCompta data with actual amount you have.

Angeman, is the above explanation correct?
Pickeld

Post by Pickeld »

First of all, thank you for the quick response.
When I use the "Pending" option, on the next column there is "Reconciel date" but it doesn't seem to change automatically on the specific date. Is that what is supposed to do?
mm_v8

Post by mm_v8 »

I want to leave Angeman to answer this question, but if I answer from practical point of view as one of the users;

Yes, that is waht is supposed to do.

(1) Some want to set the actual date as reconcile date and some may want to use the date of the statements. I guess that is why Angeman made it in this way.

(2) Practically as far as balance is correct, I do not care the reconcile date. And in fact, as I described above, normally it is easier to just click the circle from the account menu, I mean not from each transaction menu. So I do not use the reconcile date.
Depend on the volume of the transaction, but it may be a little troublesome indeed, if you want to input the reconcile date precisely.

Angeman, I might answer too match. Please correct it if any misunderstanding.
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

mm_v8 wrote:Angeman, I might answer too match. Please correct it if any misunderstanding.
Your answers are perfectly correct :)
Pickeld

Post by Pickeld »

Thanks again for the quick response!! You guys are great! So finally I understood the uses of the two functions. But unfortunately the transaction status doesnt seem to change to reconciel on the given date is that a bug or I missing somthing?
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

This is normal, you have to change the status manually.
Pickeld

Post by Pickeld »

Okay thank u. I hope that will be fixed by the next version. Keep doing great job.