Suggestion for Transfer transactions

Discussions about iCompta on iOS
mm_v8

Suggestion for Transfer transactions

Post by mm_v8 »

The current setting in iCompta regarding Transfer transactions is a little odd compared with other accounting/monetary applications.

(1) In iCompta, once a Transfer transaction is input, then the item in each account is not linked each other. It should be linked always even after input. When we need to change the amount later, need to change both.

(2) Name of the transaction is automatically set as "Transfer from ..." and "Transfer to ...". But in many cases, we would like to input name of the transaction in the first window rather than we change later (again we need to change twice due to the issue (1)).

(3) I am not sure how other users use the accounts and the categories, but I think it should be normal the accounts are B/S items while the categories are used as P/L items.
To me, it is a little odd to have the window for "category" when we input Transfer transaction. Instead, I would like to set "Transfer from/to" by replacing the categories.
I believe that this setting should be majority since Microsoft Money, GnuCash use it as far as I know.

(4) Related to the issue (3), I often want to use as follows;
Spend $100 and actually $50 of $100 is on behalf of my friends (or company account), for example. In such a case, I want to input in the following manner;

Select the account "A" and press "+", then input;
Amount: $100
Categories: $50 / Transfer to account B: $50

In the above transaction, the current iCompta will create 3 independent record which make difficult for me to trance later, due to the issue (1) and (3).

iCompta is still an excellent application and I love it very much, but that is why I would like to suggest to inprove it.

MM
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: Suggestion for Transfer transactions

Post by Angeman »

mm_v8 wrote:(1) In iCompta, once a Transfer transaction is input, then the item in each account is not linked each other. It should be linked always even after input. When we need to change the amount later, need to change both.
It works this way since version 2.
mm_v8 wrote:(2) Name of the transaction is automatically set as "Transfer from ..." and "Transfer to ...". But in many cases, we would like to input name of the transaction in the first window rather than we change later (again we need to change twice due to the issue (1)).
Ok I might change that.
mm_v8 wrote:(3) I am not sure how other users use the accounts and the categories, but I think it should be normal the accounts are B/S items while the categories are used as P/L items.
To me, it is a little odd to have the window for "category" when we input Transfer transaction. Instead, I would like to set "Transfer from/to" by replacing the categories.
I believe that this setting should be majority since Microsoft Money, GnuCash use it as far as I know.
I think the way it is handled is convenient when you make transfer to different savings accounts for example. You can tag all them with a "savings" category and then see very easily how much you saved.
mm_v8 wrote:(4) Related to the issue (3), I often want to use as follows;
Spend $100 and actually $50 of $100 is on behalf of my friends (or company account), for example. In such a case, I want to input in the following manner;

Select the account "A" and press "+", then input;
Amount: $100
Categories: $50 / Transfer to account B: $50
I'm sorry I don't understand how you can have a transfer and a category in the same transaction, do you have an example ?
mm_v8

Re: Suggestion for Transfer transactions

Post by mm_v8 »

Thank you for your reply.

(1)
Angeman wrote:It works this way since version 2.
I noticed. Sorry for confusion.

(2)
Angeman wrote:Ok I might change that.
Still we need to know that it is a transfer transaction and to which account. "Transfer" should be displayed at "Mean of Payment" but an issue is display "to/from which account". One idea will be use the comment window or "info" under the "Mean of payment".

(3)
Angeman wrote:I think the way it is handled is convenient when you make transfer to different savings accounts for example. You can tag all them with a "savings" category and then see very easily how much you saved.
Understand.

(4)
Angeman wrote: I'm sorry I don't understand how you can have a transfer and a category in the same transaction, do you have an example ?
For example, I have certain expenditure and settle with my company for a part of it.
Obviously, it can be done by way of split the transaction under the current iCompta, but if I do so, I need to remember I have done so until I reconcile it because the amount is split into 2 pieces. It is not a big deal and maybe not so easy in the current iCompta structure. But for the future, I would like to note that it is still true that it can be done in other personal account applications and that is related to the issue (3).

In addition to the transfer, I have another suggestion.
When I add a new transaction under "Cash" or "Credit Card" account, it is too obvious what is the "Mean of payment". I prefer it if iCompta automatically set the relevant mean of payment as default. Still we can change it later if different (not may cases).