Dropbox sync action "Send" does not replace file (2.2.13)

Discussions about iCompta on iOS
pattern86

Dropbox sync action "Send" does not replace file (2.2.13)

Post by pattern86 »

I updated to iOS version 2.2.13 today and had to reauthorize my Dropbox. Now when using the sync action "Send", it no longer replaces the file, but instead makes a copy.
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: Dropbox sync action "Send" does not replace file (2.2.13

Post by Angeman »

Do you save on multiple devices or just one device ? Is it just a copy or a conflicted copy ?
pattern86

Post by pattern86 »

I save on my MacBook Pro using iCompta from the App Store (currently 4.0.11) and on my iPhone (currently 2.2.13). It made a copy—appending "(1)" to the filename.

For example
Original file = File.compta
New file = File (1).compta

I seemed to have fixed it by renaming the original file so that it no longer had to be overwritten. Then I saved from my iPhone to the original filename (which created the file again). Now I can save on my iPhone and MacBook Pro and it will just update the original file. All is well.

The problem seemed to come after having to authorize dropbox again on the first save. I hope this helps you troubleshoot.
jrobcet

Post by jrobcet »

I'm seeing this behavior as well after the update. I noticed it last night and removed all files that were created.

When I was out today, I made several purchases and sent to Dropbox after entering each purchase into iCompta. The first send to Dropbox resulted in the expected file (iCompta.compta), but subsequent sends resulted in conflicted copies, each appended with an incremented number -- for example:

iCompta ( My Name conflicted copy).compta
iCompta ( My Name conflicted copy) (1).compta
iCompta ( My Name conflicted copy) (2).compta
iCompta ( My Name conflicted copy) (3).compta
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Did you or someone else also saved on another device in the time between your different purchases ?

I changed the workflow in the latest release to avoid overwriting changes by mistake when uploading to Dropbox.
Now when you upload to Dropbox whereas you didn't have the latest data on Dropbox it creates a conflict : a new file that ends with "(conflicted copy)" is created.

So the workflow should be :
- you launch iCompta on your iPhone
- it downloads the latest data on Dropbox (if you enabled automatic Dropbox sync in the Settings application otherwise you have to do it manually)
- you make some changes
- you save => it sends the changes to Dropbox (if you enabled automatic Dropbox sync in the Settings application otherwise you have to do it manually)

- you open iCompta on another device
- it downloads the latest data on Dropbox
- etc.

But if you open iCompta on another device before saving your changes on the first device and then you save on the first device and on the second without downloading latest data from Dropbox in the meantime then it will create a conflict each time. Even if you don't create transactions or modify accounts, saving makes a new version of your data on Dropbox that you have to get on other devices before you can save again.

I hope this is clear and it will help you not having this problem anymore.
pattern86

Post by pattern86 »

Yes, that does make sense and is considerate programming. Thank you.
jrobcet

Post by jrobcet »

Thank you for the explanation. I did not save on another device between purchases. I do use the app on both my iPhone and iPad, but did not notice the issue until I returned home and attempted to sync the changes to my iPad.

I was not aware of the automatic sync to/from Dropbox on save/launch so that was disabled on both devices. I have been manually syncing changes between both devices up to this point.

I must admit to still being a bit confused with regard to the workflow in your explanation. Would it be best to enable automatic sync for both launch and save on my iPhone? If so, what is the best course to always have changes synced to my iPad?
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

jrobcet wrote:Thank you for the explanation. I did not save on another device between purchases. I do use the app on both my iPhone and iPad, but did not notice the issue until I returned home and attempted to sync the changes to my iPad.
To be short, a conflicted copy appear whenever you save to Dropbox without getting the latest revision of your file from Dropbox first. So I suppose you didn't download the data from Dropbox since you updated iCompta that's why it creates a conflicted version each time you save. Just make a synchronization with Replace mode once and then it will work as usual.
jrobcet wrote:Would it be best to enable automatic sync for both launch and save on my iPhone? If so, what is the best course to always have changes synced to my iPad?
With these recent changes, automatic sync is definitely the best way to always have changes synced to all devices.