first glance

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
wwmm

first glance

Post by wwmm »

I'm looking at iCompta for the first time. I'm attracted by the wealth of functionality. I currently use gnucash after years with Quicken and appreciate the ability, but not the requirement, to create transfers (and look forward to v4's linked transfers).

For the sake of familiarity, I would likely use the single line transaction register view (smaller A button) but my first impressions of this feature is that it is lacking manually adjustable column choices and widths.

In general, not being able to edit directly in the transaction pane is surprising. There may be a good reason for keeping the ledger a report viewer, but in that case I would prefer then that the data entry pane be on the left so all the mousing/cursor movement can be kept to one side of the application window.

Wouldn't it be simpler if all the functionality of the data entry pane were part of an editable ledger? OmniFocus has a nice way of showing optional entry elements with light text which only appears while the transaction is selected or the cursor is hovered. Buttons to access pop-up calendars and places to put attachment appear when needed, keeping the register uncluttered otherwise. Their free-floating optional preference window is equivalent to your data entry pane where all the selected entry's data and options can be viewed in detail if needed.

I'd also like to see a lot more keyboard equivalents to add new transactions, switch selected accounts, switch between panes, etc.

I'll keep checking it out and you may have me hooked by v4.

-Paul
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: first glance

Post by Angeman »

Thanks for your suggestions, by the way the shortcut to add a new transaction is Command + Alt + N.