Post by sgeorgii »

Hi everyone.

Here is the setup to I used for demonstration:
- single account
- single budget
- single currency
- single category

Budget was set up as one year long starting 01.01.2009
Single account and category were added into the budget.

2000 was set as expense limit for category.

----------------

Here is the first weird thing: until you register any actual transaction for the given category - you see "0" for "Budgeted expense" in the budget overview screen.

Second most weird thing: if you go to single account, make single transaction (say $1) and mark it as Reconciled to fix the previous issue. Now call "Balance evolution" for this account and choose "Use budget to forecast balance evolution". I always receive weirdest forecast here: instead of budgeted -2000 my balance for this account shows to be -12200 in December 2009!.

---------------

This is most weird and please help to understand this behavior. It is either misunderstanding on my side or most outrageous bug for the finance software!
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: Outrageous bug: account evolution based on budget

Post by Angeman »

Thanks for the bug report, the period of the budget was ignored in the balance evolution computation and was considered monthly instead.
sgeorgii wrote:This is most weird and please help to understand this behavior. It is either misunderstanding on my side or most outrageous bug for the finance software!
Most outrageous ? Come on... :evil:
sgeorgii

Post by sgeorgii »

Well, it's sort of obvious, so it was hard to me to believe it is s bug at all!

By the way, iPhone version apparently involved too. And it seems to me what currency might be ignored in balance evalution as well. Could you please check?

And how one could get patched version? Any new
version to download?
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

sgeorgii wrote: the way, iPhone version apparently involved too. And it seems to me what currency might be ignored in balance evalution as well. Could you please check?
I corrected iPhone version too. Can you make a screenshot to illustrate the currency problem ?
sgeorgii wrote:And how one could get patched version? Any new version to download?
Yes it will be available in a few days.
sgeorgii

Post by sgeorgii »

Currency bug confirmed. Here is how to reproduce:
1.Create at least two currencies. Use RUB (russian ruble) as base currency, but budget in thousands of rubles. So I created RUB and kRUB as my two currencies. (pic.1) http://img38.imageshack.us/i/picture1jhv.png/

2. I set up a budget in kRUB and put 5kRUB as target value (5 thousand rubles = 5000 RUB)
(pic.2) http://img34.imageshack.us/i/picture2xga.png/

3. Now lets go into account. For testing I have test database with one account only
(pic.3) http://img34.imageshack.us/i/picture3gob.png/

4. Now balance evaluation is completely wrong. It should be about -2500 RUB in this account currency. Instead it is barely less than 1000 RUB.
(pic.4) http://img196.imageshack.us/i/picture4kyl.png/

Please have a look.

P.S.: Now when you include more than one account into analysis in iPhone version, and each account has its own currency - the result is total mess!
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Picture 4 shows that your 2 last transactions are cancelled (see the black stripes in the background and the cross icon on the left) and are therefore ignored in the balance evolution. This explains why the balance at the end is -1000 RUB as only your first transaction of -1000 RUB is considered.
sgeorgii wrote:P.S.: Now when you include more than one account into analysis in iPhone version, and each account has its own currency - the result is total mess!
When the accounts have different currency, the main currency (ie the first one in the list) is used and transactions with different currencies are converted to the main currency using their change rates.
sgeorgii

Post by sgeorgii »

Not my point. In picture 4 I have "Use New budget to forecast balance evolution".
I.e. budget value should define the end result, which should be at least -2500 RUB (-5k RUB was set as annual target in budget screen - picture 2)

P.S.:By the way - the reason I put any transaction here at all is another apparent bug I mentioned earlier - it is only when you have some transaction entered for the "Transaction type" then you have Budget screen correctly showing "Spent/Expected/Budgeted" values. Otherwise it shows zero for budgeted value even if you set non-zero as target.
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Ok got it, yes the currency was also ignored in this case. So everything will be fixed in 3.3.
sgeorgii

Post by sgeorgii »

Thank you!
sgeorgii

Post by sgeorgii »

Any progress with the fixed version?
I haven't noticed an iPhone update either.