Bug report: ignoring transfers AND refunds

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
sgeb

Bug report: ignoring transfers AND refunds

Post by sgeb »

Found another bug: when displaying the stats pie, choosing only 'ignore refunds' works as expected. Choosing only 'ignore transfers' also does what it should. But when both are active, 'ignore refunds' is ignored.

Latest version: 3.2.1

Thx & cheers
-sgeb
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: Bug report: ignoring transfers AND refunds

Post by Angeman »

Thanks for the bug report, however I didn't managed to reproduce it on my own accounts. Could you send your document (cyril.anger@lyricapps.com) and tells me the necessary steps to reproduce it ? Thanks.
sgeb

Post by sgeb »

Thank you for your quick reply. Upon further analysis, I discovered that the bug has a bigger scope. Maybe I have a wrong understanding of how to record that particular transaction. Let me explain more thoroughly what I mean:

Image you and a friend are buying groceries, but your friend forgot his wallet. You lend him money by paying the total bill in cash. The total of $100 is split as follows: $60 for your groceries, $40 for his -- so you actually lend $40 to your friend.

The transaction is recorded in the account "Cash" with $100 total, $60 into category "Groceries", $40 participation with your friend. This means that $40 are not associated to any category (the amount you lend to your friend). Only $60 are associated to "Groceries", which is crucial since you do not want his $40 grocery to appear in your expenses.

So much to the scenario. Now when I generate the statistics pie, I select both the cash account and the bank account (sometimes I pay with cash, sometimes with debit card, so the statistic should be on both accounts). I select 'ignore transfers' since I do not want the money I withdraw from my bank account using an ATM (money transfer from bank account to cash account) to appear in the statistic. Then I also want to 'ignore refunds' since the $40 I lent to my friend should be ignored.

Here is the behaviour I expected:

Bank account overview: OK

Cash account, none ignored: OK (everything appears)

Cash account, ignore refunds: OK (only my $60 appear in expenses, without the $40 I lent)

Cash account, ignore transfers: OK (Income transfers ignored, the $40 I lent appear)

Cash account, ignore transfers+refunds: BUG?! (Income transfers ignored, but the $40 I lent should be ignored!)

Cash+Bank accounts, none ignored: OK (everything appears)

Cash+Bank accounts, ignore refunds: BUG?! (Income transfers should appear, the $40 I lent should be ignored!)

Cash+Bank accounts, ignore transfers: OK

Cash+Bank accounts, ignore refunds+refunds: BUG?! (Income transfers ignored, but the $40 I lent should be ignored!)

I also sent you the test document via email.

Thx & cheers
-sgeb
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

The term "ignore refunds" is confusing, it is not directly linked to money you lend to a friend. Instead it just merge the positive and negative balances for a given category. For example, let's say you have an health category in which you have a positive balance of 40€ and a negative balance of 60€. If you don't check the "ignore refunds" box, you will see the health category in the credit pie view and in the debit pie view but if you do check it you will only see the health category in the debit pie view with an amount of 20€.
This is how things works now but I clearly feel it's a little clumsy so I'll try to make things clearer in version 4.
sgeb

Post by sgeb »

Thanks for the clarification, the wording is indeed confusing.

Any advice on how to record the transaction detailed above? In quest of a better overview I now record the shared part of a transaction into a category "Loans" (in addition to associating it to a person).. Recommendable or is there a better solution?

Thx & cheers
-sgeb
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Yes I think this is the better way to proceed until version 4. Then you could delete your "Loans" category and everything should work as expected.