Suggestions

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
Torakikiii

Suggestions

Post by Torakikiii »

Hi there,
although I find myself 101% happy now with iCompta there are some small things I'd love to see implemented.

- tags (user defined) or call it labels so I can tag/label a specific transaction and do a search for it/them. Different from categories, the same tag in fact could be assigned at items belonging to different categories/months/budgets. Let's say for example I have a parent car category, containing other sub cats such as fuel, taxes, accessories, cleaning. repairing and so on. Let's say for example I want to keep track how often I brought my car to the cleaning service. My transaction would only show as a POS payment (or inside a CC bill) so I'd have to comment it and possibly split it to be able to find it. Tag, 1 (right) click, immediate find. At the moment I only see coloring for transactions... if it's already there and I missed it, beat me!

- budget screen. A place I use a lot. What I miss but I don't have a really good suggestion for it, is some kind of popup/recap of all the expenses in a specific category *without* having to double click and leave the screen. Just a recap with the amounts would be great, maybe on a mouseover or a long click?
Most of the time the right side of the giant panel (devoted to incomes) is sitting there useless, because for most of us it stays there with a single line; so I don't think that a popup area covering it for the time needed would be a huge usability problem.

- fully customizable toolbar. I had to fight with Angeman :D to have my beloved calculator button back where it belongs 8-) now I miss the save button too, but let's push it a cm farther and give us a fully customizable toolbar... right now there's little to choose from!

That's it. Anything else new cooking?? :)

Ciao,
Ivan
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: Suggestions

Post by Angeman »

Torakikiii wrote:- tags (user defined) or call it labels so I can tag/label a specific transaction and do a search for it/them. Different from categories, the same tag in fact could be assigned at items belonging to different categories/months/budgets. Let's say for example I have a parent car category, containing other sub cats such as fuel, taxes, accessories, cleaning. repairing and so on. Let's say for example I want to keep track how often I brought my car to the cleaning service. My transaction would only show as a POS payment (or inside a CC bill) so I'd have to comment it and possibly split it to be able to find it. Tag, 1 (right) click, immediate find. At the moment I only see coloring for transactions... if it's already there and I missed it, beat me!
It already exists indeed, it's the "Project" field.
Torakikiii wrote:- budget screen. A place I use a lot. What I miss but I don't have a really good suggestion for it, is some kind of popup/recap of all the expenses in a specific category *without* having to double click and leave the screen. Just a recap with the amounts would be great, maybe on a mouseover or a long click?
Most of the time the right side of the giant panel (devoted to incomes) is sitting there useless, because for most of us it stays there with a single line; so I don't think that a popup area covering it for the time needed would be a huge usability problem.
Not a bad idea, I'll think about it.
Torakikiii wrote:- fully customizable toolbar. I had to fight with Angeman to have my beloved calculator button back where it belongs now I miss the save button too, but let's push it a cm farther and give us a fully customizable toolbar... right now there's little to choose from!
If other people are interested in this, I'll probably do it.
Torakikiii

Post by Torakikiii »

Angeman wrote: It already exists indeed, it's the "Project" field.
Indeed and it works! But would you at least consider populating a right click menu with the last used/most used/whatever tags so to easily assign one to a transaction (or many) without having to edit it? Same way as a categories.
It becomes annoying if you need to manage more than a transaction at time.

I still believe though that if tags (projects) could be managed the same way of categories (minus parent and child) it would be much useful and easier.

For the moment, I'll use what I have :geek:
Torakikiii

Post by Torakikiii »

Angeman wrote:
Torakikiii wrote:- budget screen. A place I use a lot. What I miss but I don't have a really good suggestion for it, is some kind of popup/recap of all the expenses in a specific category *without* having to double click and leave the screen. Just a recap with the amounts would be great, maybe on a mouseover or a long click?
I wanted to up this old thread so I could add a thing or two.

- on the balance graph I'd love to have a thin vertical line following my mouse. If it would appear by magic while overing the area, without having to keep the mouse button pressed, it would be eve nicer.

- some kind of report builder... honestly a part the pie function I don't dig much into the endless table output of the other reports. I don't know other users but it's lack of customization (while output the data) keeps me away from it and I find it hard to read the data in that way.
Isn't there a framework you can implement so one can mix some metadata/keywords with the actual data from the internal dbase of iCompta on a self generated template? Nothing particular fancy or complex, a "simple" rich text editor would do it for me where I can mix keywords that then get rendered on the fly. Having also simple shapes like boxes, areas, lines, etc would be a blast.

That said I use this app since 2010 and I love it, it keeps getting better with years.

What's in store for the future? can you share anything?

Cheers.
Ivan
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Torakikiii wrote:- on the balance graph I'd love to have a thin vertical line following my mouse. If it would appear by magic while overing the area, without having to keep the mouse button pressed, it would be eve nicer.
It'a good idea for sure.
Torakikiii wrote:- some kind of report builder... honestly a part the pie function I don't dig much into the endless table output of the other reports. I don't know other users but it's lack of customization (while output the data) keeps me away from it and I find it hard to read the data in that way.
Isn't there a framework you can implement so one can mix some metadata/keywords with the actual data from the internal dbase of iCompta on a self generated template? Nothing particular fancy or complex, a "simple" rich text editor would do it for me where I can mix keywords that then get rendered on the fly. Having also simple shapes like boxes, areas, lines, etc would be a blast.
The reports are very customizable with the transactions filter, the splits filter and the "group by" field. If you fine tune them you won't get an endless table but just the lines you are interested in. What you ask would require using an internal scripting language and I'm not willing to spend a huge amount of time on making this sorry.
Torakikiii

Post by Torakikiii »

Angeman wrote:
I see V6 is a step ahead, cool. Any chance to have this suggestion incorporated?

Do you plan any kind of discount for long time users?

Cheers,
Ivan
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

It will be implemented in the iOS version by using 3D Touch but not in the macOS version as of current beta.
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

I forgot about the discount, yes there will be a promotional period at launch to allow users of current version to buy with a 50% discount.
Aguilberto Junior

Post by Aguilberto Junior »

Torakikiii wrote: - fully customizable toolbar. I had to fight with Angeman :D to have my beloved calculator button back where it belongs 8-) now I miss the save button too, but let's push it a cm farther and give us a fully customizable toolbar... right now there's little to choose from!
I would be very nice for productivity!

For my use of iCompta in everyday life, I think the speed with which I manage transactions is very important, so I make 3 suggestions for version 6:

- Configuration of the sequence of fields in the data entry of a transaction;

- Improved the search of categories in the data entry of a transaction (without using the mouse/trackpad);

- Hot keys to change the status of a transaction.
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Angeman wrote:It will be implemented in the iOS version by using 3D Touch but not in the macOS version as of current beta.
In fact it will also be implemented in the macOS version by hitting space.