Balance Evolution Graphic

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: Balance Evolution Graphic

Post by Angeman »

You can double the X axis as well so it will be larger and you will see the dates.
Dwarf007

Post by Dwarf007 »

Angeman wrote:You can double the X axis as well so it will be larger and you will see the dates.
No, sorry. I tried double clicking everywhere on the X axis. At the bottom, the middle, the top... no-where it will zoom and show dates.

Anyway, what I meant was to always show dates corresponding to the vertical lines, to get an idea of what moment in time the bars correspond to.
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

1.png
1.png (58.35 KiB) Viewed 13057 times
2.png
2.png (36.4 KiB) Viewed 13057 times
drfrogsplat

Post by drfrogsplat »

i find that zooming out is slightly awkward, and unintuitive...
- the alt+double-click was a surprise — maybe allow alt or command + single click so it's easier to find? (since those otherwise do nothing)
- second, if you hold alt and repeatedly double-click it doesn't 'unzoom' more than once — you have to either wait a second between double-clicks or move the mouse between double-clicks
- third, when zooming out i usually just want to zoom all the way out, so would suggest any zoom-out action goes all the way out

also, another possibly useful zoom-related feature:
- click & drag across the actual graph to zoom in on a specific part of it (either by plain zooming or setting start/end dates)
- personally i'd only really want to be selecting across the X-axis (i.e. drag/highlight a horizontal section), with Y-axis automatically updating to fit the zoomed data
- may require an easy way to reset the start/end dates after having zoomed
- ideally the start/end dates would also link to the filter start/end dates, so you can drag across a spike or step in the graph to see what it is (or likewise filter your transactions and see the graph that matches those transactions)
Dwarf007

Post by Dwarf007 »

Thanks for the screenshots, but that's exactly where I tried double clicking first... and i just tried again.
It does not work! On my icompta 5.1 there is not even the horizontal line, nor any text on any X-axis :(

Furthermore, I agree with drfrogsplat. The zooming is not very intuitive at all.
I would do it in a similar way as it is done on other applications (e.g. gimp, photoshop, google chrome, word etc.) instead of inventing another 'standard':
- ctrl+ to zoom in / ctrl- to zoom out
- and scroll mouse forward = zoom in / scroll-mouse backward = zoom out
- +1 for "click & drag across the actual graph to zoom in on a specific part of it (either by plain zooming or setting start/end dates)"
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Dwarf007 wrote:Thanks for the screenshots, but that's exactly where I tried double clicking first... and i just tried again.
It does not work! On my icompta 5.1 there is not even the horizontal line, nor any text on any X-axis
Can you show me a screenshot ?
Dwarf007

Post by Dwarf007 »

Angeman wrote:Can you show me a screenshot ?
attached below.
By the way, I know that this is a Bar diagram, but I would expect the look&feel and GUI interactions to be consistent on all these graphics.

Furthermore, as mentioned in posts above. On this screenshot you can see that not all data is shown. I would have to scroll to the right or (if it was possible) to un-zoom further.
However, I already alt+clicked on the Y-Axis and this is the maximum zoom-out (while not all data is shown).
Would it therefore also be possible to allow a complete zoom-out to see all data?

Another point for better ergonomy (since I just tested this zoom-in/zoom-out on the evolution graphic under an account), it would also be nice if the zoom would take place centered-on the date reference where you double click, rather than zoom-in/zooming-out to some other point in time.
Attachments
No X-Axis dates
No X-Axis dates
Capture d’écran 2014-10-04 à 11.07.19.png (123.65 KiB) Viewed 13033 times
Dwarf007

Post by Dwarf007 »

Will our feedback/requests be added to the todo list? :)
drfrogsplat

Post by drfrogsplat »

one more thing to add, it'd be good if the vertical & horizontal axes remained visible when you zoom in

i.e. rather than treat it like a picture that i'm zooming in on, treat it like a cut-down view-port to see a section of the graph, if that makes sense?

there's probably a few ways to achieve this, e.g. having the data extend with transparency past/under the axes/border when you've zoomed in, so you can sort of see there's more data if you scroll around, but can still clearly read the axes

as it stands right now, if you zoom in on either/both axes you can quickly lose track of where you are on either axis, and the data becomes meaningless when you lose the axes
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Thank you both for your feedback, I've taken goof note of it.