Dropbox sync

Discussions about iCompta on macOS
Chemmy

Dropbox sync

Post by Chemmy »

I'm having a big problem trying to get my head around the whole sync thing. You mention on your help page:
If you activate Dropbox synchronization on a Mac first and then on a mobile device, the Dropbox API on the mobile device won't be able to use the existing iCompta folder and will create a new one. In that case, move the files from both folders somewhere else and delete both folders. Then launch the mobile version again so that it creates the iCompta folder properly. Restore the files you previously moved in this newly created iCompta folder. The Mac version and the mobile version will now both be using this folder properly.
The mobile app is creating a folder in Dropbox called Apps/iCompta and I believe the Mac version is using Applications/iCompta. I believe this is why I can't get this to work. Can you verify this?

Thanks.
Angeman
Administrateur

Re: Dropbox sync

Post by Angeman »

No it seems to be fine. Please read the step by step : http://www.icompta-app.com/help.php?sys ... ronization
Chemmy

Post by Chemmy »

When I remove the files and delete the folders the Mobile version makes a new folder called Apps/iCompta. I put the files back and re-launch the mobile version and it can see the file. I made a change and it synced.

I then go onto my Mac version and go to the New document from Dropbox menu, the submenu says "No documents found". If I change the folder to Applications I can see the file on the Mac. I believe the mobile version will use Apps and Applications.

I'm getting there, I'm not there yet though. This is far too complex for the average user and I am not the average user.

P.S. I know this is a complex task is from a programming point of view.
Chemmy

Post by Chemmy »

Okay, I think I have it working, just.

I am finding that the iPhone app does not update Dropbox regularly, it often reports an old timestamp of the file. It appears as if it is using a cache. The reason I think this is that if I make a change on the Mac it doesn't show on the iPhone even though the sync shows the same timestamp. If I add the same file again it shows the new change (sometimes).

I'm probably going to give up on Dropbox and see if I can get iCloud working reliably.
Chemmy

Post by Chemmy »

Further update. I think it is working now but I have to open a new Dropbox file each time on my iPhone and not use an existing one. It defeats the purpose of having saved files but it works this way.

It has been doing my head in trying to get it to work, I'm glad i didn't have to program it.
TetleyK

Post by TetleyK »

I can confirm that using iCompta on the iPad or iPhone using DropBox syncing creates a folder called Apps/iCompta which cannot be seen by iCompta on the Mac which is looking for a folder in DropBox called Applications/iCompta.

Therefore the iPad/iPhone will sync between each other, but will not sync with iCompta on the Mac.

Before you point me to the Synchronisation link in your help, I have done EXACTLY what you suggest and the above is what happens when you do this.

Conclusion, DropBox sync only works between iPad and iPhone.

Please fix this as soon as possible, there's not much point using iCompta if this feature is not working.

Not entirely sure about the colour scheme, but that's just me being picky.
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

TetleyK wrote: DropBox syncing creates a folder called Apps/iCompta
Can you tell me what is the language of your iPhone ?
TetleyK wrote:Before you point me to the Synchronisation link in your help, I have done EXACTLY what you suggest and the above is what happens when you do this.
I won't ;-)
AndrewR

Post by AndrewR »

Hi Angeman

I think I have the same problem - has this been solved?

iCloud works just fine, but I am now trying to use dropbox instead so that I can share a file across multiple devices (i.e. my wife's iPhone as well as my own).

The mobile app creates a dropbox folder structure as apps - icompta - synchronisation and places the file in there. But the mac creates "applications - icompta - synchronisation" and I can seem to to force it to sync to "apps" instead. I followed your instructions to delete both folders but it seems to just replicate the issue as you start up the mobile app and then the mac app.

Appreciate any assistance - even if just to say its a bug, and will be fixed in due course :)

cheers
Andrew
Angeman
Administrateur

Post by Angeman »

Not yet, I need the answer to this question : can you tell me what is the language of your iPhone ? Because "Apps", "Applications", etc. depends on this.
AndrewR

Post by AndrewR »

The iPhone and iPad are "British English".

The iMac is just "English"

cheers